Boss Phantom 1500 vs MTX Audio Thunder 3202

Username: Tagg72

Post Number: 1
I bought a couple of subs off my friend to help him with college tuition. It was just two Sony 1300w Xplodes sub woofers, and an old sony phantom 1500. It actually sounds very balanced with my stock ford speakers. Recently my neighbor found a bunch of power amps in the trunk of a car he found at an auction. one of them was a MTX Thunder 3202. I looked at it and one of my neighbor's friends stands over my shoulder and says its better than my Phantom. I had nothing to loose, he isnt selling it, just giving it away. so i go to install it into my truck. It sounds pretty good with a little annoying hum that seems to mimic my engine noise. But it sounds strong and robust.

I'm very new to all of this so i don't really know wich to keep. What do you guys think? The specs online make it seem that the phantom is more powerful, but the MTX feels more powerful. Because the Phantom is a mono does that make it worse at powering two subs? which is higher quality? which is more powerful?

Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1805
You need to check you power wiring, specially your grounding, you need to sand the grounding point of your amp and the grounding of your head unit as well, also run the audio lines separately from power lines.

MTX rates RMS their amps as all quality gear is rated, Boss is an infamous low end company, you shouldn't get anything from them unless you are in really serious financial trouble.

Username: Tagg72

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the feedback. So what do you mean by sanding the ground wire? what does that do?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1806
I come around on here every few days sorry,
Sanding the chassis at the place your ground terminal will be bolted at.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1807
Example:

Upload

This establishes a true ground to the chassis, it eliminates a possible source of noise and improves amplifier efficiency.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us