Question about power in my system

Username: Technohippie

Post Number: 1
hey everyone-

i've got a mazda cx-5 which i installed a full system in. i have a 1800 watt a/b amp and a 2000 watt D amp (both power acoustiks). when i first installed the system i didn't notice any power problems or strange noises, but in the last couple of weeks i've started to notice some popping in the speakers (they're brand new polks) and a little bit of whine when i accelerate. i've ordered line noise filters to fix the whine (someone told me that that would help with that, although they've not come yet so i haven't been able to test them) but what could be causing the popping? when i first installed the system, my battery would test at approx. 13.5 volts and now it tests at about 12.6. from doing a bit of research, i've come to suspect that i might need a higher-output alternator, but i'm not really sure. does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1652
Ok you want to do a number of things.

1) check all you grounding particularily the amp(s) terminal to ground needs to be bare metal to bare metal, HU and any signal processors should be grounded to chassis. all audio interconnects should be decent quality and in good condition. Would like to know the gauge of your wiring to the amps and the specific models of your amps and speakers.

2) Do a big 3 upgrade and check that the alt is charging.

3) At the end of the day you will be needing a battery and alt upgrade.

DON'T play the system with your voltage low or something might blow, get something like this while you save up for those upgrades:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-SC-300A-3-Amp-Fully-Automatic-Electronic-Tr ickle-Charger-and-Maintainer/15167353

Bear in mind that this is a temporal solution and likely the battery will fail.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us