Party Bus needs sound system help!

Username: Excursions

Post Number: 1
Hello all. I have recently just purchased a shuttle bus. I am turning it into a Party Bus/Limo. Its internal dimensions are roughly 13 feet x 8 feet of salon style seating. It is currently gutted and I want to put in an amazing sound system. I do need to purchase everything for it. I have already looked at a couple of HU, Alpine and Pioneer..and will probably choose one of them. My questions are these: in that space, how many and of what size speakers and sub do I need to make it sound really good. And then, what amp(s) will I need to power them correctly? I want to spend around $1500 or so. I am not opposed to used equipment. If you wouldn't mind recommending specific brands, that would be great also. Thanks for reading.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1405
Well if you want it to play really loud you will need a subwoofer box, so the dimensions of that box would be useful, for the use I'd probably would want an A/V deck, really necessary would be the exact model of your shuttle, and you are right $1500 is not a fortune so you will need to spend carfully, when you mean great to some is way loud (like when you can't hear the person next to you and everything is shaking) and to others is decently loud with sound quality.. so you will have to make your mind about that

Post Number: 2
Joe, thanks for the response. First of all, the sub box will be made to fit whatever size we want it to be. None of the interior has been contructed yet. So I guess, understanding what size sub is enough - is really the question. My budget is flexible so if I need to spend more, I will. I agree regarding the A/V deck, the truck is a 1987 Ford E350.
We are installing full LEDglow and lazer lights inside...so we want to create a club like sound and experience...(stripper pole included). I guess my thought is I want a system that I can turn the volume down, but don't want one that I can't turn up. Thanks again for your help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1409
Ok, there is audio stuff powerful enough to blow up all your windows if you want, Some of it is good quality and relatively inexpensive.

The place to start is your electrical system, the E350 had poor electrical system from what I read. That can cost quite a bit to upgrade. Being so big I guess you will need a lot of power.

Then I would hope someone can help you to build a rather big enclosure for the subs, that is the cheapest way to go about it.

What sorts of music types will mainly be listened is also important to know.

Post Number: 3
I was planning on installing a larger alternator and using a closed cell battery to run the sound and lighting. The local stereo store said I should use the kinetik 2400? Does that sound correct? I figured that since I am gutting the bus, I would run all new wiring for the bus portion of the vehicle. My guess is that typical dance music will be the most played music. I am sure there will be some country and rock as well. As far as the build of the box, I am very handy, I am hoping I can find some building specs online and will build whatever I need to build myself. So...know that, your next suggestion? and thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1411
You want a HO alternator, a big 3 upgrade (0 awg most likely) one or two deep cycle batteries (XS Power/Kinetik,/Stinger) and low gauge power lines to your amps (2 or 3). One can easily overspend, best is determine your power needs based on the equipment you will be running.

I and I am thinking that 128-134dB will be plenty of output for a club like environment so I would suggest stuff based on that unless someone in your team decides otherwise.

I would like to know what you have in mind on the placement of your speakers subs etc. I mean you will probably access from the back? and may not want speakers blocking the way, also the overall internal dimensions (wide height depth) of the place.

Post Number: 4
The overall dimensions of the cabin part of the bus (where the party will be happening) 122.5" x 93.5" with the height of about 73" in the center. We have not built the seating or the walls yet, so we can built it to suit our needs.
We will have dividing wall in front and another in the back, so I figured speaks can be placed on both front and back, facing inside bus. What I do not know is how many I should purchase or if I should get component vs coaxial?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1414
Ok this is what I would think fit your application, and most of all your budget, will be definitely as loud as needed and also provide more than enough sound quality for a club like environment, by no means is final though:

Upload

Subs: (Look for the 15"):
https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=154f32b80525918/ shopdata/0050_Speakers/0040_SSD/product_overview.shopscript

Subs amp:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44471_MB-Quart-ONX1.2000D.html

Speakers (2-3 sets):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/INFINITY-KAPPA-693-9I-IN-CAR-AUDIO-STEREO-6X9-6-X9-330W-3-WAY-SPEAKERS-SET-PAIR-/360453634627?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item53ecb5fa43&vxp=mtr

Amps for speakers:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33005_MB-Quart-FX4.100.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_44472_MB-Quart-ONX2.100.html

A/V Deck:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_42780_Pioneer-AVH-P1400DVD.html

The enclosure for the subs should be 4.5-5 cubic feet tuned to 33Hz center port.

On the dims you provided here is a sketch of possible speaker placement, definitely not unique or final, dismiss the appearance of things please:

Upload

From a similar projects I have seen equipment should not be visible or accessible.

The final electrical system specs will depend on all of the equipment you will be fitting, including non audio like a cooler, lighning etc..

Post Number: 5
Okay, So first I want to say thank you for all the help so far. I have purchased all of the equipment and it was right about $1500. (so thank you). My only problem now...is that the Pioneer 1400dvd HU is a bit more difficult than I thought it would be, specifically in two areas. The first is the parking brake wire...This is a Limo bus, so the head Unit is not being watched by the drive, it is for the passengers behind the driver's seat. If there a way to make the dvd play while in motion. The second issue is that the limo bus does not have an ACC position on the ignition, so what do i do with that wire in order to make it work?

Thanks again for any insight!

Gold Member

Post Number: 1489
1) With this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-DVD-BRAKE-BYPASS-HACK-AVH-P1400DVD-AVH-P2400BT-/ 140690624159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c1d08e9f

2) The signal should exist regardless, you can take it from the head unit location or fuse box, that's the best way to go, the other way is join together the red and yellow cables and turn off from the deck, the problem is that you may forget to turn off and the amps will drain the battery or batteries.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us