Need a good pair of 4x6's and 6.75's

Silver Member
Username: E3_overkill

Post Number: 103
Hey guys I'm looking for a good pair of 4x6's and 6.75 of a 2000 Chevy s10. I have a powerbass asa4.400 running them. Any recommendation don't care if their plate or not just looking for a good quality speaker. A couple people I've talked to say infinity Kappa's. They say the 4x6 plates infinity's and 6.75 infinity Kappa's for both speakers. Just wanting to get your guys opinions. Thanks for the time.

Gold Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 1215
Infinity speakers have strong highs and not so strong midbass, other than that are good budget speakers.

Comps with strong midbass can be Polk Audio, HAT, Morel to name a few.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
I'm not worried about a budget I want them to sound good and have some good bass to them. So name any of them that fall into the category. Haha thanks again joe. I have a question I might be building another box, but this one for a 2000 Chevy s10 for and extended cap. So I was wondering of you could work your magic again. Haha. If not I understand.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1217
Well if you really want to go expensive get Dynaudio's 3 way comps and drive them fully active, Focal Utopia is another one to consider.

And yes give me the maximum dims on that box and name the subs and the amp to be used along with the type of music to be played and I will come up with something for ya!

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
well its not to easy on this on, cause the floor in the back isn't totally flat it has two step ups. if that makes any sense. ill have to draw you a picture or something and show you. but as far as the speakers i don't want one with crossovers cause i have no where to mount them unfortunately. So i need speakers that have good mid bass but good highs. That can be ran of an amp without crossovers. sorry for not stating that earlier that's my bad. Well as far as the sub it will be the sundown audio's i got before if you remember. hahaha my benz is having to many problems so im getting rid of it most likely ; ( and i got a new saz 1500D.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
well its not to easy on this on, cause the floor in the back isn't totally flat it has two step ups. if that makes any sense. ill have to draw you a picture or something and show you. but as far as the speakers i don't want one with crossovers cause i have no where to mount them unfortunately. So i need speakers that have good mid bass but good highs. That can be ran of an amp without crossovers. sorry for not stating that earlier that's my bad. Well as far as the sub it will be the sundown audio's i got before if you remember. hahaha my benz is having to many problems so im getting rid of it most likely ; ( and i got a new saz 1500D.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1218
Ok E3, doing a box that accounts for uneven surfaces would be not the way to go, give some dims that can be used. you will need 1.75-2 cuft net for those.

I will look into the speakers, something with integrated crossovers, look into the HAT IMAGINES or the Focal IS165 see if you like them, no cross networks.

You are selling the car to fit better audio.. shows love if you do it!

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
hahaha your saying you might be interested in my car haha. but yeah theirs going to have to be and indent on the box cause their will be no way around it. cause the truck has like a plastic cover in the back extended cap part that covers the jack. so ill show what i mean and you can tell me what you think. just probably build like a step up then have the box start.

so just let me know what you think. just a quick paint thing i made up haha. but yeah ill definitely look at those speakers. and im giving the view as if you were sitting in the drivers seat and you turnt around and were looking at the box. If that makes sense. hahahahUpload

Gold Member

Post Number: 1222
The box is small, you need 3.5-4 cubic feet net (Vb) for the sa-12 unless you want to go for a high tune SPL, in which case a 3.2 cubic feet would be in order, currently you are below 3.

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
yeah i was wanting SPL for sure maybe around 38hz possibly. and single camber. yea you are correct right now im under 3. so do you think that box design is even possible? and a while ago you told me about a website that does referb sundown amps. doing you think their reliable the company and the amp its self? thanks for all the help..... again hahaha

Gold Member

Post Number: 1224
I wouldn't go below 3 net ever, see if you can give me some inches, still it will be hell to build.

The sundown amps are impressive SPL amps, manu of them can be run at half their nominal impedance in a SPL box so yeah they're good, the MB is ok but this is better by far.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
so what if i just squared the design at the top?
Height= 23.5", width 34", and depth 14" inch . With that box squared off it should be over 3.2 net cuft? right?

and as far as that site you showed me selling the refurbished sundown amps. Do you think the company and the refurbished amps are good ?

I think the site was that "db.r.com" or something

Gold Member

Post Number: 1225
With 23.5" x 34" x 14" as maximum dims this can work out:

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 37.92 Hz
Vb = 3.494 ft^3

Subwoofer Mounting = Flush Mounted

External Height = 23.5 in
External Width = 29 in
External Depth = 14 in

Port Width = 3 1/2 in

Cut List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 29 x 14

Left & Right Sides = 12 1/2 x 21 1/4

Front & Back = 29 x 21 1/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 14 3/4 x 12 1/2

Yes you can trust db-r, here's the site:

http://www.db-r.com/sell/store/

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
Yeah I'll do that. So do you think 38hz with two SA-12 on a sax-1500. V2 will be good for a SPL setup ? And alright sweet I'll get a sundown amp from them. I was wondering if you could do a 3D drawing thing for those deminsions ? If you can ? That would be cool. If not I understand. Thanks alot for all the help again joe.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1234
I will say that Sundowns are not ideally suited for straight SPL applications, for example the Audioque HDC3 works wonderful at 38Hz, IAs, DC Audios, BTL N3 are all made for what you want.

If you were to use the SA-12s for that I would downsize the box to 1.6cuft per sub and at that tuning..should work but you will be risking them somewhat on an underrated 1500W amp.

Right on this site Sundown amps have been used at half their rated impedance with no stability issues (subs were blown though).

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
So what if I run them on a sundown sae. 1200 v.2 ? Do you think that will be better ? At 1.6cuft per sub @ 83hz? Do you think that will be a good amp to match with the subs ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1239
Despite the common belief, having an amp rated above the subs rating is beneficial for the subs and produces better sound quality, it's just a question of keeping your gains in check. The box at 1.6 cu/sub 38Hz seems ok for what you want, don't get me wrong, the SA-12s can take above rated, and no one will ever take this advice but the subsonic filter is the no.1 saver of subwoofers and no one ever cares about it, set it to 30Hz and WILL save your subs, high tuned enclosures unload fast below 30Hz (or even above that) causing the subs to bottom out.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
so your saying i can run the saz 1500 v2 on those two sa-12? but what if i decided to just run them on a 1200d amp instead. of these two amp which do you think is better sae1200 v2 or the sax1200? ive heard the sae is unrated, and i the sax just does rated. what do you think would be the better amp for those two sa-12D4. and will be running them @ 1ohm.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1246
Sae is a bit louder it is believed that sax are more reliable, sax are rated at 14.4V so at ordinary voltages are not as loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
so what if i ran those two subs off a saz 1500 v2? do you think i should do that or just stick with a 1200 ?

And i was wondering about a box with these dimension?
height=16, width=34, depth=14 inches
single camber and 38hz?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1273
With a good electrical the more powerful the amp better the chances you are feeding a clean signal, just watch your gains, that's all.

On those specs this comes up:

Fb = 38.051 Hz
Vb = 2.627 ft^3

External Height = 16 in
External Width = 34 in
External Depth = 14 in

Port Width = 3 in

Too low net internal volume 1.6 cubic feet per sub is about what's needed...

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
how much wider would i have to make it so that the net volume to 3.4 cuft?
height= 16 in
depth= 14 in
width= ?

So i was just wondering how much wider the box would have to be to reach the 3.4 net volume?

So my last question. which amp would you use for two sa-12 d4
sae 1200 v2 or saz1500 v2 ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1281
Ok E3 if you want an answer get the SAZ it's the better amp, and for a 3.2cuft@38Hz and 43 sqin port you would need 41.5"W.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
alright sweet thanks you. i appreciate it again joe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
Hey Joe i was wondering if you could do a cut list for those dimension?

Height= 16in.
Depth= 14in.
Width= 41.5 in.

And possibly do that 3D drawing?
I would really appreciate it. Thanks Joe

Gold Member

Post Number: 1363
Ok E3, here are the cut sheet list and a generic sketchup:

Fb = 38 Hz
Vb = 3.207 ft^3

External Height = 16 in
External Width = 41.5 in
External Depth = 14 in

Port Width = 3 1/2 in

Cut Sheet List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.
* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Top & Bottom (3 parts) = 41 1/2 x 14

Left & Right Sides = 12 1/2 x 13 3/4

Front & Back = 41 1/2 x 13 3/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Top to Bottom = 10 1/4 x 12 1/2
Extension = 2 1/4 x 12 1/2

Upload

Although technically a single 6" aero would not be enough port area I have seen it used frecuently with sa-12s you may want to look into it.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
What would an aero port accomplish me rather then a normal port? I've never really look much into aero ports.
And thanks for the 3D drawing helps alot.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1366
The advantage would be a little smaller box.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us