Need help to chose a pair of speaker

Username: Steelfish

CALEXICO, CA

Post Number: 1
first little background,
my car is a fiesta 2008 (almost same size in exterior and interior than a Honda Fit, just for reference), Im a noob in decent car audio set ups.

my car is mostly used to commute to work 30 minutes drive, Im 80%heavy metal, rock and the rest is 80's pop music (got almost 40yo I cannot help LOL)

so far my only upgrade in the stock audio system is my HU, im running a pioneer DEH-3300, you got the idea that Im into budget set up

I got two different scenarios right now, for me 1st would be the one I may ending doing, but I can do the 2nd in phases 6 months period:

1 SCENARIO: if i want to run a nice pair of speakers with just the HU power, what would be me a nice option? (no amp at all)

for the front speakers:
- I have heard that Alpine sps 610C 6.5 component would sound great with no amp and they are 80rms , tweeter is silk dome 1" and in line crossover
- but also I have read in a lot of forums that Cerwin Vega are the ones for heavy metal music, in this case what I can buy is the CERWIN VEGA HED65C, this speakers are 60 rms and tweeter is silk dome 25mm with and external 12db crossover

for the rear speakers:
Im debating between a coaxial speakers of the same brand choosen or some polk Dxi or run stock speakers depending to your comments and advices.

2 SCENARIO:
- getting any of those component systems and a small 2-channel amplifier for the front speakers, into budget prices, what would be a nice amp for this application?

- would those component brands mentioned in the 1 scenario sound really much better that a set of coaxial polk Dxi speakers?
if negative I'd just run polk dxi coaxial in front but Im pretty positive that they are 100rms they need to be play it with an ampli to get thebest of them, right?

if Im totally wrong in my selections or understandings feel free to make any recommendation according to my car size, music selection and time driving it.

thanks in advance

front speakers budget $100
rear speaker budget $50-60

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 508
Ok I have 160

As an alternative, basically same thing low price:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9111_Polk-Audio-db651.html

Heavy metal is not about extreme high sound quality, but LOUDNESS and strong clean upper bass-midbass. Also 80s music is not all about SQ.

Amp:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33466_Kenwood-KAC-1502S.html

Sub:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7443_JBL-GTO804.html

At about $175 you are getting very near to the sound you are looking for, that is loudness and real midbass 6.5"s cant ever give you.

I can change things around if you want but I think I am pretty near now.

CALEXICO, CA

Post Number: 2
thanks Joe,

as I said, I dont know much about car audio setups, my thing was plug and play pioneer wlatmart speakers, but now I would like to try a better sound for my personal car, thanks for your input.

would these polk speakers (that I really like) sound better that the CVegas 2-way component? its just for the bigger rms or it's just polk much better brand than vegas?

other Question, the amp you recommend has less rms that the speakers, isnt going to hurt the amp ? I was told its better to run a bigger amp rms than the speakers power

PD: is that the case, I can jump to polk MM (if it worth the money) series and save some money to get the amp and the sub at the end of the year

Silver Member

Post Number: 511
Those Cerwins won't get nearly as loud as the Polks nor will hit bottom end with cut at 75Hz besides the Polks at 92 dB sensitivity they are much better suited for direct HU driving.

No the sub can't damage the amp, what can hurt an amp is using a speaker rated at lower impedance than the amp supports, furthermore the sub is high sensitivity as well so it will be driven to loudness just fine, that amp could also drive a 10" easily. Amped 6x9s are also an alternative for the price but will not hit as low.

If you would like to plan ahead here are some guidelines:

If you are not going with coaxes this is a real step up from Polk:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15059_Polk-Audio-MM6501.html

Your HU is good quality and you won't be needing to upgrade it.

Amplifiers are key to loudness and good speakers on amplifiers are the key to sound quality.

If you don't see your personal economy improving that much I would jump on a basic setup vs waiting forever for little upgrades. It will sound nicer for sure.

CALEXICO, CA

Post Number: 3
ok you hit a key here, basic set up, when you say "basic" that includes an amp or not?
I'd like to have the both cases with prices and all and then make mymind

Polk MM with small 2-ch amp and the sub will sound terrific great +- $200-$250 dls
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14716_Polk-Audio-MM651.html

what would be a basic setup with nice sound with no amp at all?

thanks in advance for your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 514
Well, obviously everyone draws their line where they want and imagine what a deaf guy would think of all this.

To me a basic setup is like I described first, heavy metal requires some loudness to it so you need: high sensitivity drivers and minimal midbass amplification, also you need to avoid junk components.

I left out something like the MMs from basic because they are costly and need amplification to be worth.

In fact the coaxial speakers I suggested can handle 100W RMS/CH and the head unit can provide only 14 -16W RMS of undistorted power per channel so those even those are massively underpowered.

To find out what basic means to you I would hear some simple setups to see what you want to leave out and what not, also you can start with the speakers alone and then decide what else should you include, I suggested 6x9s or a small 8" sub on the back to avoid sub enclosures which take up trunk space and further costs.

There are also different brands of speakers, amps subs and else to choose from.. you can go to bestbuy or some dealer and hear for yourself and decide what is the type of sound you are looking for.

CALEXICO, CA

Post Number: 4
sorry Joe, just entering in this world of car stereo with a complete set up (speakers, amp, crossovers, capacitor, etc, etc).

you're right H metal dont require high end speaker with super Q and spend a ton of money to enjoy it.

well one more question on your 1st recommendation
the amp your suggested is a 2-ch so, what I will feed with that ?
the 2 speakers or just the subwoofer?

Silver Member

Post Number: 517
Amplifiers are configurable so you can use it with a single sub on a single 150W RMS channel or 2 6x9s on a 2 channel 60W RMS per channel.

Also if you were to enter the amp world I would take a look at this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_25534_MB-Quart-REF4.50.html

For $20 extra you can have a 200W RMS for a sub and 2 x 50W RMS for door speakers, that would be a MAJOR step up. Lovely quality amp. Of course a lot wiring goes in.

I am throwing in options so you can fine tune.

CALEXICO, CA

Post Number: 5
thanks for your patience

I think I will do this in parts between the next 3 months,
first a nice set of speakers

then with my xmas bonus a 4-ch amp with a 8" sub

thanks for your help

Silver Member

Post Number: 521
Yes Alex, there are many fine options for speakers out there but they all sound different, so try to listen as many as you can.

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
You can find new audio stuff in:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/
and used/new:
http://www.ebay.com/

And then you can look at used stuff if you want to save.

http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/

They have forums there as well.

Its just that it's easy to search for stuff specs on sonic. Also there are user reviews on each product to help you make your mind.

Regarding the 3 component systems, they sound very different MB Quart sounds clean and sharp many people are bothered by their extreme highs, the DLS is the opposite, a silky laid back sound in the style of bostons but better quality on their (very) expensive series. I can't comment on the CVs but they are not big players these days can tell you that. They became well known for their nice subs in the 80s -90s.

On the coaxes, just stay away from RF, their amps are great but not their speakers, Polk and JL Audio are both good choices with well balanced sound.

The Jaguars should be junk but no denying, they are shallow!

The best way to know if something's worth is listening for yourself on a weekend or something like that.

CALEXICO, CA

Post Number: 6
ok, I live in Mexico and the place where I live I dont have much car stereo stores that carry nice brand (high end brands) to list them and compare, so mostly I buy by reading reviews and comments from the pros.

right now I think and have 3 final options:
coaxials Focal access 165CA1 at $110
Morel maximo comps at $130
CDT cl-61cv at $130

what would be better as a first entry level high-end speaker for the front?
a pair of focal coaxial or some morel or CDT comps?

since all of them arent rated with high RMS I can have a small 2-ch amp and going without rears

any comments?

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
Before buying any speaker check mounting depth,

From those the Morel Maximos would be my choice due to better midbass. They are 90W and not too high sensitivity so will need a fair amount of power to perform well.

The Focals are coaxes not components, From Focal Polyglass series is minimum really.

One of the upsides of components is that they let you angle the tweeters towards you for better high frequency performance.

CALEXICO, CA

Post Number: 7
man, I was hoping to hear that entry level of focal where better than entry level of Morel (assuming both were comps sets)

I also heard that morel are more power hungry even with their Coaxials

the search continues LOL...

I may be ending getting some coaxials Kappas with 95 dB sensitivity, 90 rms and 2ohms and fishing this quest some say they paly very good with the HU power and need less amp power to get them playing clear and louder or the polk db 651 for the same result

Silver Member

Post Number: 552
Kappas are great sounding but no bass or midbass, people get frustrated because of this. Even their top line Kappa Perfects suffer from this.

The Morels are excellent for heavy they just need a 60-80W x 2 amp to take advantage of their qualities.

Then there are many options to look at, I recommend to find some dealer who lets you listen for a minute a few of them. It will take you a minute to realize what are you looking for.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us