Need a little help

Username: Obama

SanDiego, California United States

Post Number: 1
Hey, guys, im a bit new to subs and amplifiers so i'll need a bit of help.

To start off I have a Honda Accord 1998 ex with 2 Rockford Fosgate p3 400W(ea) subs that I got for free. The guy that gave them to me instructed me to get a 2 channel amp with 750-1000 watts to power both subs. I have all the wiring and hes putting in a stereo system aswell.

So basically my question is, whats a good brand amp for my
particular subs? I would assume since my subs aren't that powerful and my cars not that great that they wouldn't require high end amps. Any suggestions?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14455
he didn't know what he was talking about.
what you want is a class D monoblock (single channel) sub amp.
in that power range, look at the hifonics brutus 1200 watt amp or, better yet, an audioque aq1200d
you'll need at least 4 gauge power and ground wiring for battery-to-amplifier and ground.

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14456
PS, you're possibly the worst president since Jimmy Carter. Please resign.

Post Number: 2
I appreciate the quick response, I was reading around and what my friend was telling me did not match up to what I was reading from some of the veterans on this forum.

If you wouldn't mind, could you explain how a monoblock amp should be wired up to power 2 subs??

Post Number: 3
and haha, I still appreciate your help :p

Post Number: 4
They are both dvc subs 4 ohm each, if that helps at all

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1289
LOL at Glasswolf

But putting that asside, Glasswolf is correct. You do not want a 2-channel Amplifier, you want a Mono-Block (1-channel) Amplifier. Glasswolf already beat me to the punch suggesting the AQ1200D. Here is the website to where you can purchase one:

http://www.audioque.com/AQ1200D-Amplifier_p_30.html

Here is the link to the other Amplifier that Glasswolf suggested:

Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_23548_Hifonics-Brutus-BRZ1200.1D.html

There are other Amplifiers out there that will also give you the power you need, but these two here is your best bang for your buck. Plenty of power, and both under $300.

If online shopping is not an option for you and you need to shop local, then what you are looking for is an Amplifier that can at least supply 800 Watts RMS at 1 Ohm.

Also, below is a link of a picture on how you would need to wire your DVC 4 Ohm Rockford Fosgate P3's to achieve a 1 Ohm load:

http://images.the12volt.com/12voltimages/2_4ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

Post Number: 5
I think I love you. lol

Thanks so much guys

Post Number: 6
Another question, how do I ensure that I don't have dimming or my battery doesnt die lol. I do have a pretty old car

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1294
The only way to assure that you will not have these problems is to perform the "Big 3" upgrade. Details of this can be found by clicking on the link below:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~73496~PN~1

The stock Alternator in your 1998 Honda Accord EX is 80 Amps. Typically, this would be fine with an Audio System of roughly 1000 Watts RMS however, we are unsure of the condition on your current Alternator.

Odds are that in one point in time, the Alternator is going to fail because of this extra draw and stress from the Amplifier. It could take a few weeks, months, or maybe a year.

Overall, I would say play it safe, and upgrade the Alternator before you are presented with a domino effect of electrical issues. Either that, or just make sure to have a few hundred dollars on the side to use on a new Alternator in case your current one does fail shortly after installing everything.

Better to play it safe that sorry I always say.

Post Number: 7
Appreciate the help man!

Platinum Member

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14460
yup, coils in parallel, subs in parallel.. 1 ohm load. then you go with an amp that's 1200W @ 1 ohm.
class D mono amps are the most efficient, but are typically only for subs, which is why I suggested that route.

As for having enough of a charging system.. just put the stereo in, and if you do have problems, or voltages drop below 12V, you'll want to give thought to a larger alternator, or keep the volume below the point you have problems.
simple as that.

Post Number: 8
Thanks.

My friend gave me his HIFONICS HFi1000D 1000 W Car Mono Class D Amplifier. Would that work out alright??

Silver Member
Username: Joe1234

Post Number: 196
The HIFONICS HFi1000D is 1 ohm stable so it will do just as well for wiring all parallel. Also it won't be able to stress your electrical system as much as a 1200W amp.

Gold Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1305
Just as Joe Durkham stated, the Hifonics HFi1000D will be able to supply enough power to your P3's, so it is an Amplifier that you can use.

I would however just to make you aware that this specific Amplfiier is not true to it's specs.Unlike the Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D, the Hifonics HFi1000D is not CEA-2006 Compliant. The true output specs at 1 Ohm is going to be anywhere from 650-850 Watts RMS however, this is still enough to power both your P3's.

In all honesty, I would use that Amplifier as a crutch to enable you to save up enough money to purchase either the Hifonics Brutus BRZ1200.1D, Audioque AQ1200D, or any other Amplifier that is CEA-2006 Compliant and supports the minimum of 800 Watts RMS at a 1 Ohm load.

Post Number: 9
Got it, Thank you all.

You guys are so knowledgeable!

I will be back!!!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us