Need help to choose the right speakers and right equipment

Username: Benjaskate

Post Number: 1
Hello I am Ben and I am new in this forum, I am looking to get some help, I am building a small food truck and I want to install a TV/audio system on it, let me explain you a little bit more what im interested to do, I installed a LED TV on one side of the truck so I can display my menu or any channel, but I don't know what kind of speakers should I used for the outside, should I use the home speakers for outdoors or the waterproof Polk audio car speakers. Because I went to best buy and I got the Polk audio water proof for car so I don't know how can I connect them to the TV and DVD, to get sound. My question is do I need to buy a home receiver or a car amplifier because I am using a gas generator to get electricity, not the battery of my truck. I got confused the best buy guy told me that I cant used car speakers with a home receiver is that true? What do I need ... please help me

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1123
Hey Ben, what's your budget you looking to spend on a set of Speakers and is there any specific size Speaker that you need?

And also, yes, you can use Car Speakers/Subwoofers in a Home Stereo System

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14324
If you're using a generator and you have 120VAC or 220VAC (depending on where you are) your best bet is to use an AV receiver that supports bi-directional HDMI. Connect the TV and the DVD player to the AVR using HDMI cables, and use the TV tuner in your television to get your TV stations, using the HDMI bi-directional cable to feed TV audio to the receiver.
Then you can connect the AV receiver to a pair of outdoor home audio speakers, and you're all set.

Car speakers are typically 4 ohms, while home speakers are more often 8 ohms. Many home receivers aren't designed to handle a 4 ohm load. In addition if you do use car speakers for this, you'd need to find a place to mount them. If you get an AV receiver that is 4 ohm stable, and you have a place to mount those waterproof car speakers, then you can go that route as well.
I know Onkyo, amoung others, have numerous affordable AV receivers that would fit your needs.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Columbia, South Carolina

Post Number: 14325
PS, if you are using an AC power generator, don't buy a car stereo subwoofer, unless you plan to also buy a box for it, and a home stereo amplifier to drive it.
AV receivers for home systems do not have a powered subwoofer channel, as most home stereo/home cinema subwoofers have an internal plate amplifier built-in.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us