German Maestro: difference btwn CS 6508 and CS 6508 IV?

Username: Bighal

Post Number: 1
Thanks in advance for your time. I'm looking into purchasing some speakers made by German Maestro (formerly MB Quart). Very few places offer these speakers and information is hard to come by on-line. My local audio store is pushing the CS 6508 IV, with the "IV" signifying "installer version." He says he might need to custom-build some things if I just bought the CS 6508 from somewhere else, but I can't figure out what the difference actually is and whether or not he's just trying to hawk what his store carries.

My questions are: what exactly am I paying extra for with the "IV" version and do I need it?

The company's website lists technical differences between the two models, but I don't see how that would affect installation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The speakers will be installed in a 1999 New Beetle.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1117
From the information that I can find on the CS 6508 and CS 6508 IV, they are practically the same Speaker however, according to their Website, the CS 6508 IV is specifically built to fit in compact areas where there is not a lot of space. According to their description for this Speaker, it states,

"...without woofer grills and -rings and providing an extra small x-over housing for best ease of installation."

However, what I find confusing is that the CS 6508 and CS 6508 IV both come with the same User Manual, and it specifically states that both Speakers have are the same size and depth. From what it sounds like, the only thing the CS 6508 IV does that gives it the "IV" in it's name is the smaller Crossover than comes with it.

Also, the CS 6508 IV's specs are slightly different than the CS 6508's. the CS 6508 IV has a Frequency Responce of 4,400 Hz and a Sensitivity rating of 90 db, while the CS 6508 has a frequency responce of 5,500 Hz and has a Sensitivity rating of 87 db.

I did some research, and I was able to confirm that for your specific vehicle, there are Speakers with larger mounting depths that will be able to fit into the Factory Mounts without any issues, so I do not know why they said they would need to do a custom install.

Overall, the CS 6508 and CS 6508 IV are the same Speaker in terms of size and depth, however the CS 6508 IV comes with a smaller Crossover and has slighty different Specs.

Username: Bighal

Post Number: 2
I know this is terribly late, Joe, but I wanted to thank you for your response. It gave me exactly the information I needed. You are a credit to the forum and a good netizen.

Thanks again.

Gold Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 1257
No problem Hal, anytime.

Username: Traprh

Post Number: 1
Also late but I just joined the forum yesterday. I have a 2 way component set of EV 6508 German Maestro speakers from their EPIC Line I'm going to be selling soon. Excellent sound quality speakers. I've only had them for 7 months but I'm selling my car and pulling the speakers and putting the OEM speakers back in before I sell the car. These speakers retail for $449 a pair but I'm going to offer them at $300 shipped in the US. My e-mail is pharvey33@gmail.com if anyone is interested.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us