Help!!! Frustrated with wiring and not seeing any BASS! ****

Username: Sandhu7

Post Number: 7
okay so heres what I have:

factory head unit,
2 - 4ohm single voice coil Rockford Fosgate P2 Subs (250 w RMS)
1 - SONY XMZZR3301 (600 w RMS @ 2 ohms, 330 W RMS @ 4 ohms
bass knob with high level output that's connected to my speakers.

I connected the sony amp to RCA's which are connected to the bass knob which is connected to my front speakers (because of factory head unit)

I tried connecting one sub to the amp just straight pos to pos and neg to neg but barely got any bass.
Then I tried connecting the second sub (same idea pos to pos and neg to neg) but still minimal bass.

I tried connecting the subs to each other then the amp ( neg from sub1 to pos on sub2, then pos from sub1 to amp and neg from sub2 to the amp) but that didn't make a difference.

Thenn I tried pos from sub1 to pos sub2, neg from sub1 to neg sub2, and then pos from sub2 to amp and neg from sub2 to amp, STILL NO BASS!!!

my question is how do i friggin wire this thing properly so I can hear some bass. I know the sony amp has high level sensing output but does that make my bass knob redundant? I am probably hearing about 20 w out of the whole thing, amp is brand new nothing wrong with it subs are too. Am I missing something vital??!!

please any help AT ALL is most appreciated

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1636
Get rid of the Bass knob, remove bass boost setting on the amp (turn it off), Tune lowpass for 80 hz, ether use a voltage caculator and test tone or turn the gain on the lower side by ear with volume 75 percent up on headunit. Also get your wiring right by following these guides. Lastly when your all done with the learning curve get some better equipment and lay off the walmart specials.

http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

Username: Sandhu7

Post Number: 9
Hey Keith thanks for the reply!

As for removing the bass knob I don`t see how that would fix the problem as it is currently acting as my high-low converter as I connect my stock speaker wire to the bass knob which has RCA outputs that I connect to the amp. I`ve used another amp on this setup before (mrpm-500) which also has a hi-low converter built in it and that seemed to work perfectly fine.

and thanks for the tip on the walmart purchases :P

Silver Member
Username: Alonzoub

Post Number: 101
Sounds like that you are talking about is not a boss knob, rather a Line Output Converter. Just to clear things up you may want to take a picture of it or maybe find a link to one online and show us what this "bass knob" is.

Here is how the subs should be wired to the amp: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/woofer_wizard/2_4ohmSVC_2ohm.gif

Here is a very useful guide on setting your gain correctly: http://www.thesuicidaleggroll.com/gain.htm

and /agree on the walmart comment.

My bet is that your LOC isn't set properly.

Username: Phlopped

Post Number: 3
A bit off topic, but WOW, in that gain tutorial, the download link for the test tones is ~800kbytes, once extracted is 111mbytes!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Dcollister440

Post Number: 16
Keith is gangster!!!! keeping it real! Sometimes us newer people need to hear things like that. constructive criticism is always good, no matter what way you slice it
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us