Replacing 2 ohm, 4 wire, monsoon rear speakers

Username: Justenhansen

Post Number: 1
I didn't realize what I was in for when I started this project. First I bought some Pioneer 6x9. But there are only two leads, and the old speakers had 4 wires (2 for tweeter and 2 for bass). So I cut the little silver wire inside the speaker going to the tweeter, and wired straight to it. (I know, I'm crazy, but what the hell was I supposed to do?)
So here's my question: I'm getting very little sound out of the tweeters, and almost no bass. I just found out that my old system was 2 ohms, and my new ones are 4, so there is more resistance than it expects to have.
Can I just wire my two speakers together in parallel? Because then they'll have 2 ohms total right? Will that work? I don't want to blow anything.
This picture is how it looks now: Upload

Bronze Member
Username: Nghisus

Post Number: 25
I would not wire your speakers in parallel, because, even if you do, what are you going to do afterwords? Wire both speaker channels to the parallel setup? Bridging a factory amp is a very bad idea.

At this point, I don't know what you have or what kind of setup you're going for, but that looks like the rear deck. If you've replaced all 4 speakers, just get a cheap 4 channel amp that will handle a 4 ohm load, or sell those speakers and get some 2 ohm speakers. I wouldn't have modified them like you did.

You should do more reading before you do more "doing". Not being snide but I've been where you're at and it only leads to breaking stuff.

Post Number: 2
I want to get some 2 ohm speakers but I can't find any that expose the wires that go to the tweeters (like in the picture). And I don't want to lose my tweeters (remember I have four wires).

And, I'm not sure I can just change the amp. Something about this being a low power system. I think I'd have to change the HU too.

From what I can tell, everybody that has a Monsoon system goes through hell trying to fix anything, and usually ends up replacing the whole thing, or going to a junk yard and finding stock parts.

To answer your question, if I put my speakers in parallel, I would just run them off of one channel, not bridge them. Bad idea? This is just for the rear speakers. I haven't blown the ones in the doors yet. And I don't know how to take my doors apart to change those anyway.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
You can change the amp if you you use a LOC, I used one from Scosche to go from an aftermarket HU to his factory Bose Amp, I think going from a factory head unit to an aftermartket amp isn't a problem at all. Scosche makes good ones, I like the ones that let you adjust the gains. Anyway, that's just an option.

You won't get a power increase running off of one channel with the speakers in parallel as opposed to running them on separate channels.

This is simplistic but look at it this way: P=(I^2)*R
w/ 2 channels at 4 ohms you have this: 2P=(I^2)*4 or P=(I^2)*2
w/1 channel at 2 ohms you have this: P=(I^2)*2
The same thing, but now you've lost your ability to balance L and R and you still don't get anymore power.

Your biggest problem is the ohm rating for the speakers don't match your speakers. If you buy another set, make sure it's 2 ohms and it has separate terminals for the woofer and the tweeter. Just don't use the crossover that comes with the tweeter since you have two sets of wire, its already gone through a crossover. Make sure you haven't mixed up the tweeter wire and the subwoofer wire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
what's your budget?

Post Number: 3
Oh thanks for the math. I didn't know how amps worked, and that P was constant on each channel, but it makes sense now.

Is there such thing as a speaker that has separate terminals for woofer and tweeter? I can't find them.

My budget is $100. I actually just bought some JBL GTO938 from Amazon. Should be here in a week. If you know of some other speakers that I won't have to jimmy rig I would be very appreciative.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!! You're awesome.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
The math is not entirely true because some amps push out more with less resistance, I'm just assuming constant power for your amp because its factory. But for your case I think its adequate.

With a 6x9 hole, you can use adapter plates and put a 5.25" + tweeter there, that should allow you a lot more options.

Anyway:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-INFINITY-KAPPA-693-9I-6x9-3-Way-Speakers-/33051630 8726?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item4cf44ea2f6

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-GTO-508C-CAR-AUDIO-5-25-2-WAY-SPEAKERS-SET-5-1-4-/350431 611749?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item51975a0b65
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us