Amplifier Wiring Question

Username: Tbozeglav

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 1
I was sent here by a friend to get some help with this issue I am having.

I have an Autotek Super Sport AT 1000w amplifier in my car. Recently, I had the problem where the power lead fell out of the terminal end that connects to the amp. It is worth noting that the wiring installation in my car was already installed when I purchased the car used 2 years ago and everything looked in good condition before I installed my amp and subwoofer. However, after the terminal end fell off the end of the power lead, it was evident that the power lead is too large of a wire gauge than the largest possible terminal that can be put onto the amp's positive terminal.

So this brings me to my dilemma: What are the possible courses of action that I can take to properly connect the wire to the amp when the wire is 4gauge and the largest terminal end I can put onto the wire that will fit the amp is significantly smaller?

If there are any necessary details that I may have left out, please feel free to ask and I will get back as soon as I can.

Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Skdooley

Roanoke, VA Usa

Post Number: 1392
If the input terminals for power and ground are less than 4 gauge, the amp isn't going to be pushing a 1,000 watts (rms). What subs are you running? You may be better off getting a different, better amp. If you wanted to keep the amp you have, the easiest thing you could do is run new wire, or get a distribution block that will accept 4 gauge inputs and give you 8 gauge outputs. There is also people who can custom frabricate you a piece that will fit into the input terminal's hole and then allow for a larger wire to connect. I'd say before going to all that trouble and expense though, just get a new amp that will handle 4 gauge inputs.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16266
x2

Username: Tbozeglav

Akron, OH USA

Post Number: 2
Sub is a single Boston Acoustics G210-44 DVC 10" 4-ohm subwoofer.
It should also be worth bearing in mind that I am looking for the most budget-friendly solution. More to the point, whichever is cheapest. Honestly, I do not feel buying a new amp will solve the problem due to the gauge wire involved. I don't exactly have the income to go about replacing everything, so I am looking for good solutions that wont break the bank

Wiring the entire car with new power cable is certainly a possibility, but with limited time and availability of a garage during these cold months (and getting the two to line up) makes that solution more bothersome. Consider that I'd have to drive an hour to my parent's house to have the ability to work in a garage, and the cost starts adding up, unfortunately.

Now, the idea did pop into my head of utilizing a distribution block to "narrow" the gauge down. To me this is the simplest and most effective solution I can think of. I am certain I am not drawing enough power to give cause for concern with using the 8 gauge wire from the proposed distribution block to the amp since the amp natively supports up to an 8 gauge wire to its terminals. Total cost to me to go this route is somewhere in the $30 range and can be accomplished in less than a half hour of time.

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16304
i believe that amp is only stable down to 4 ohms....your prob wired to 2 ohms
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us