Newb please be nice, looking for advice!

Username: Animals_as_leaders

Post Number: 1
Alright everyone, I need some help...

This is my first post on this forum, so please be nice lol. I'm a newb to car audio so gimme a break. I went out yesterday and bought some speakers for my g/f's 2001 Mustang. They are Kenwood KFC-6993ps 6x9's. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+52W+x+4+Apple%26%23174;+iPod%26%23174;-/Satel lite+Radio-/HD+Radio-Ready+In-Dash+CD+Deck/1149996.p?id=1218225366356&skuId=1149 996 < thats my stereo. I have the 6x9's powered by an old sony 1000watt amp I had lying around. Don't really know details with amp, got it for 10 bucks and works. After installing, I wasn't pleased with the sound...The fronts are still stock and I am assuming this is the culprit. I can't seem to get a good EQ for the setup no matter what I do. I listen to heavy rock music that has a lot of double bass and is pretty demanding so I would like to fix it somehow...

I was thinking of buying a 10in kicker for the back, and upgrading the fronts. I'm thinking that I am trying to get to much out of the 6x9. Their very clear though, so I think with a sub and some fronts I'll be able to get some more low end. I'm not looking to make CRAZY amounts of bass just enough to deliver a nice punch. I want to hear my 808 hits, and I want the double bass to be nice and clear. Right now it depends a lot on the mix of the song, and its really annoying. So what can I do to achieve decent punchy bass? And, if I get front speakers will they need to be amped or can I get away with powering them from the head unit?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 14120
my suggestions:

return the stuff you bought.

look at an entry level alpine or pioneer head unit with 3 sets of pre-outs (RCA lines, front/rear/sub)

(your links are broken)

buy a pair of Alpine type R 6x9s for the rear
buy a pair of 6.5" alpine type R coaxials for the front. (the stock hole is 6x8" so a 6.5" will fit with minimum effort)

now look for a decent, small 4 channel amplifier. maybe 50 watts RMS x 4 channels @ 4 ohms. Use this to drive front and rear speakers.

Lastly, consider adding a small powered subwoofer, like an Infinity Basslink X for the low end fill. It has its own amplifier integrated, and just needs power and RCA signal lines run to it.

This will give you a very solid little system that will sound good throughout the audible range, for a minimum cost.

sony and kenwood are cheap crap, and not worth wasting money on. The system I outlined is reliable, can be upgraded later as desired, and gives you a good bang for the buck.

Silver Member
Username: Cwruck

Post Number: 428
if you really want to enjoy rock music in your car you need to spend quite a large amount of money, now i mean sound good not just loud..
honestly dls speakers would be about the best choice to go with, or even rainbow.
for a subwoofer, i would say look at getting a pair of 10s or 12s and put them in a sealed box
a pair of jl audio w3 version 3s would be a great choice for double bass
you can expect to pay around 1000 or so if you buy all new..
if thats out of ball park, glasswolf gave some suggestions that are much cheaper

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

2 hifonics 2607s, 2dcSounds12xls SPL\idmax12SQ

Post Number: 15891
honestly dls speakers would be about the best choice to go with, or even rainbow.

x2

Bronze Member
Username: Nghisus

Post Number: 23
If you were to return the stuff you bought, here would be my grocery list.

Infinity 5 channel amp 200 bucks
polks in the front 100-120
Kickers in the rear 50-60
Kicker 10" or 12" 70

Done
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us