Help Upgrading Starting Battery for $100-150

Bronze Member
Username: Eexospire

Post Number: 20
99 Mitsubishi Galant ES 2.4CYL
90amp alternator... BIG 3...stock oem battery group 86...
Alpine M1000 + Image Dynamics i4500... 1300RMS watts total...

I have no headlight dimming issues, but my current battery is 3 years old, has corrosion on 1 of the terminals, and I need new terminals anyways so I'd like to upgrade my starting battery.

I was recommended the Kirkland Marine Starting/Deep Cycle battery, its only $69 for 750mca, 115amp hours, 160 reserve capacity, but its a group 27. My current battery is 8" tall 7" wide and 9-1/8" long and the group 27 is 13" long, so I'm not sure if it will fit, and they don't have the group 24 model.

I see that Deka, Odyssey, Optima, XS Power, Kinnetic, and DieHard Platinum get recommended, but will they fit my vehicle? When I used Deka's Online Batter Finder all that came up for my car was 526MF, 586MF, and 686MF, but there were no stats and I'm not sure if they are dual purpose, since I gather that is what I'm looking for. When I do Optima's battery finder, only the red top comes up, and from what I hear, the yellow tops are better for car audio.

I'm willing to spend up to $100-$150 for a new battery that will last me and satisfy my needs.

I'm hoping someone can recommend me some batteries that will fit the bill.

Silver Member
Username: Nevertoomuchbass

2 Fi Q 12s, Mmats 3000.1

Post Number: 119
most of these batterycompanies have the dimensions on your website. optima should have a group 86 yellowtop that would fit. when i did the optima batteryfinder thing for my car it only gave me red tops but i found a yellowtop that would fit
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us