Caps vs kentics vs marine rv batterys

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 48
i have a 130 amp alt aq 1200d re audio se12s and i have an powerbass asa 200 amp that i want to use to power some components that i have not bought yet. but my question is what woul help more option A) Capacitor or B) or shuriken 20 ah battery 600 C)duralast marine deepcycle 115 amp hours 1000 cranking amps 180 reserve which would be better. please dont say a high amp alt i know that would be ideal but thats not the question

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 13754
This is like saying, "I have cancer. What's the best treatment? Drinking green tea, crossign my eyes, or sticking my elbow in my ear? Don't say chemo-therapy and radiation. I know that's ideal, but that's not the question."

http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/index.html
read the stuff in "electrical."

I'd go with a battery isolator, and run a dedicated deep cycle RG battery in the back for the audio system, myself. I'd also go for the biggest battery I could afford with the lowest Peukert #, highest Ah rating. Capacitors are useless, and what you're going to end up doing, if the alternator isn't up to the task, is killing the alternator at which point you'll be buying a new alternator anyway, plus paying for a towing service from wherever you happen to break down on the side of the road or in a parking lot.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
ok i did the big 3 and it gave me 1 volt so instead of dropping to 11.7 im around 12.6 thyen climbing up to 13.8 14.1 so is that still that bad of a drop i have had so many people tell me with my setup up i will be fine with a second battery and even a cap i know the cap is not going to fix my electrical but will it help my amp? i have read your papers but i have also read other papers that have said capacitors work for some and dont for others it depends on the application. ya ever here tha saying beleive half of what you read so i just want to make sure to do the right thing. but right now i dont have the scratch for an alternator but when i do who are the good ones dont say excessive amperage cuz i know so many people that have them. and that are unsatisified. i want a daily driver alt with good idle i have read the good bad ugly list but there are alot of bad names on their that are under good?i trust your judgement glasswolf where would you get a alt i have done my reasearch and i have heard alot of different things. can you recommend a good component set for under 100 thanks wolf

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 5204

quote:

i have also read other papers that have said capacitors work

Yeah, but were any of them by certified MECP Master car audio installers/Electrical Engineers like Glass? The only articles I've seen (granted, there are many) which say caps work are by people selling them. Although I'm just an electronics tech, you can see my view on caps here: http://spinsharp.wordpress.com/2009/09/29/charging-systems-capacitors-part-2/ I'd go more for credibility of who's saying what than the number of who's saying what.

Also, how much are you willing to spend on an alt? I can think of a few places that might have something you want. And what vehicle?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13759
Alright. As long as you're above 12.0VDC you're in good shape, really. The additional battery will help when the engine is off. It'll prolong run times.

The capacitor can't help. Simply put, the voltage of a capacitor mirrors the voltage of the circuit in which that capacitor is placed. This means if voltages drop in your amplifier's power circuit, the capacitor drops, too. This means it can't act like the magical super-fast mini-battery people seem to believe. Also, the charge time for a capacitor is substantially longer than it's discharge rate, so if your headlights are pulsating like a disco strobe, the cap is never going to get the chance to recharge to be of any use. See the inherent problem?
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/nocaplesson.html
The abive is a bit of a long read, but it explains the issues with a capacitor in pretty good detail. Richard Clark (if you don't know who he is, you're not a car audio entheusiast) still has a $5,000 challenge to anyone who can prove that a capacitor has any tangible benefit to an audio system, as well. I guarentee you that anyone who says a capcitor will be beneficial, lacks a degree in electrical engineering.

If you want a good alternator, look at DC Power Engineering.

Other than Excessive, what other brands under the GOOD column have you had, or heard of people having problems?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
i believe you glass it is just aggravating having people tell me one thing and others another. i have a 00dodge intrepid 130 amp alt 3.2 v6 . oh yeah and the owner of sound 1 in norwich who has a degree in elec engineering say s caps will be a band aid and will help your amp but not your electrical he says the stop your lights from dimming and mask the real problem(which is electrical but they save your amp. he also was telling me about a guy who has a system that wouldnt run without his two 5 fared caps he engine woul shut off. this guy also says that only kids run at 1ohm and anybody that does is an idoit.he says its the shittest sounding woofer hes ever heard. is he correct? also i have heard of people having problems with h/o alts the competer on audioques sight with 2 hdc 12s and kia car had problems with them. so what will be better a duralast 27 which has 115 amp hours or a kenteik with 20 amp hour the k 600 or 800? oh glass recomeend a good set of comps for under 100 i have a audioart 240.4 or powerbass asa 200.2 please advise. i do alot of reading and i love car audio. i want to add a alt but dont have the scratch yet. what can i do till then?what about bat caps or soundstream s cell bat caps avoid like plague right?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13760
That's the problem with marketing. They can drive things into your head even if you don't want them to. haha
Joseph Goebbels, Hitler's minister of propaganda once said, "If you tell people something enough times, no matter how ridiculous it is,, they will believe it." That's pretty much advertising in a nutshell.
A cap might help in reducing the lag-time in the alternator response for spikes in demand for large amounts of current, but only as long as the alternator can supply that current, and the capacitor has the time to recharge.

I did explain the bandaid fix thing in my capacitor write up.. it almost sounds like he read my work.. haha I don't see the cap saving an amp though, in any way if the current isn't sufficient, aside from smoothing out the dips in voltage a bit but even that, it will depend as much on the amp's power supply as any capacitor.

again, the car stalling out was due to the sudden spikes in demand dropping voltage so low that the ignition system would error and fail.

On the load to the amp, it entirely depends on the amplifier. Orion HCCA amps could run at half an ohm and sound better than many amps at 2 ohms. It entirely depends on the quality of the amp and it's power supply capabilities, having a sufficient electrical system to support the current draw at the given power output (regardless of load) and how the entire system is set up really.
His thinking on 1 ohm loads is a little outdated, as many amps are 1 ohm stable now. Back in the day, yeah low loads meant stressing out the power supply and causing the output to clip because the amp was at the limits of it's abilities, and sudden peak bass hits can draw two or three times the current to produce the momentary output of those notes.. the power supply couldn't handle that, nor could the electrical components of the time.

did you read the paper I have on battery sizing? It discusses how amp-hours isn't the only factor in battery life. you need to find the Peukert # for the battery as well, since it directly affects the life of the battery drain at high loads.
On the alternator, if the guy in the KIA had issues, it was because of the install. Something wasn't done right.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
ahhh marketing in any event audioque uses a unregulated powersupply i called them and asked so would a cap have a better chance of helping a un regulated powersupply or regualted in thoery i know they can really not help at all and their benefits are minimal really minimal (f@#$%^&ing 9 volt battery will get ya every time ha ha lol... so are you familar with the re audio se line(i have 2)and i could pick up another really cheap but my question is i have the dual 4 ohm subs so 3 dual 4s would give me the choice of 2.667 or .6667 do you think the audioque aq1200d could handle a .6667 load (with impeadence rise and all) i wondering if i should even get a 3rd. by the way have ya ever heard re audios re line of components? i have heard mied things. oh well car audio bug has got me bad i hate car audio lol

Platinum Member

Post Number: 13775

quote:

would a cap have a better chance of helping a un regulated powersupply or regualted in thoery i know they can really not help at all

answered your own question.

two RE SE subs in a good box should be plenty.
you could add a third if you really want, but you;ll need to run it at 2.6 ohms.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us