Anyone put a high amp alt in a dodge intrepid 2000 with 3.2?v6? Help!!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Bobby3342

Post Number: 27
i have a dodge intrepid 00 with 3.2 v6 130 amp alt and i was wondering if i could put a high amp alt in my car alot of companys and alternator guys have told me with my specific alt they cant rewind it and if you get one it will only burn out in like 2 to 6 months? so what should i do. how many watts can i run on a 130 amp alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 22
I have a 2001 Dodge intrepid. I purchased an alternator from Ohio Generator. I picked it up locally so it only cost me 395. It is guaranteed through them and they also offer a complete replacement if anything were to happen. In exact words. "You can fry it to a black un-identifiable object and we will still replace it" I couldnt run anymore than 1000wrms off my stock alt. I recommend getting a HO alt regardless of your amps output. Our 130amp alts are already consumed by power EVERYTHING in the vehicle and head lights use about 60% when on. And as much of a complete pain it is, upgrade the big 3. If you havent done so already.. you will see what i mean when it comes time to locate the wires u need to upgrade. Hope i was of some sort of assistance

Bronze Member

Post Number: 29
how come the alt positive is smaller than the battery grounds oh yeah cant you just leave your old factory wires in and put your new ones in . did you put the alt in yourself. cuz right now i have two se 12s on aq 1200 d and i rairly drop below 13 and never go below 12 my lights dim but its not a big dim. what type of system do you hve and how are iraggi.? is your alt case the same as your old one?

Bronze Member
Username: Jmartin2323

Cleveland, Ohio United States

Post Number: 24
The Ground for any electrical device is ALWAYS supposed to be bigger than the positive. Yes you can leave your old wires in, I did the same thing.Yes i put the alternator in myself. You have to completely take apart the whole front end of the car. Im not sure on iraggi alternators. I used Ohio generator because they have been around for MANY years and they are local (to me) and yes the alternator is a direct fit. No modification of ANYTHING necessary. With a very small amount of voltage loss you might be able to compensate for it with an additional battery. Hope this helps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
what i was asking if the alternator casing is the same size as your stock alternator if it is it ccould be a problem i know your ohiogenerater is a direct bolt on but i was aking if the alternators have the same siz e case if they do then that one maybe burn out preety soon. i have called all the alternator shops in m y area and they advise me to have have one custom made but to watch out because people will try to sell you an alternator with the same case as your stock .think about it that alternator case is designed to hold 130 amps and to get rid of the heat that 130 amps make now ya start putting more wire more power in the same case and it will fail every time that case is just not designed to get rid of that much heat. now ya can have one custom made but ya have to ask that question before ya buy now the reason i want to ask this question is because ohio gen has got good reviews from what i hear and i just want to make sure they are not one of those rip of places. because sure they will sell ya an alternator with a life time guarentee and they will charge you arm and a leg because they know its going to burn out and they are going to have to replace it. its really tough to tell who the good compaqnyS ARE.ohio gen is prolly a good company i just wanna make sure cuz im gonna give them a call if you say there good. thanks bro

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
so if i add another battery in the back that would help smooth out my voltage drop?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Lexington, SC USA

Post Number: 13355
http://www.glasswolf.net/papers/big3.htm
read that regarding how to upgrade the under hood wiring.

I put the alternator from an ambulance into a ford festiva. the alternator casing was large enough that I had to drop the front suspension to install it, but once it was in place, it worked fine.
Alternators aren't really "vehicle specific" as much as it's just a matter of finding one that fits where the alternator sits. It's two bolts, one pulley/belt, and some pretty universal wiring. (regulator, ground, positive output)
the bolts are pivot, and tensioner.

If someone tells you that you need one speciffic alternator for that car, they don't know what they are doing. The reason your existing alternator can't be rewound to higher output is two-fold. The case isn't large enough on the stock alternator (it's actually already rewound from a smaller model) and it isn't adequately ventilated for cooling the alternator. HO alternators have a lot of ventilation in the casing to move air.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us