Help...Amp/speakers cut in and out!!!

Username: Sr68790

New York, NY

Post Number: 2
Hey folks, i am new to this discussion board thing...I have a 2007 Ford Mustang, i installed an Alpine W205 head unit up front, i have Alpine SPR-57LS 5x7/6x8 component speakers up front, and momo/polk 6x9's in the rear deck, these speakers are connected to an alpine pdx 4.100 4 channel amp, my subs are two 10 inch alpine type e's connected directly to a sony xm gtr-2022 2 channel amp, i am also running a clarion equalizer off the rca's from head unit, and a clarion mcd360 crossover off of the rca's from the equalizer, my amps' rca's are run off of this crossover, all of this is connected to a rockford fosgate 1 farad capacitor all wired up with 4 gauge power and ground wire connected to 4 gauge => 8 gauge power wire/ ground wire splitters, the bass amp and subs work fine, but when im driving or sitting in the driveway with the music on, sometimes my driver side speakers cut out in the front and the back but the passenger side speakers stay on, other times all 4 speakers cut out and just the bass plays, other times ill hear the speakers struggling to play, they have a type of crackling noise, then other times both subs and speakers stop playing, and sometimes everything plays correctly and sounds awesome, i know it is not the amp because i had an older alpine mrp-f300 4 channel running the speakers, and i know its not the speakers because these are 4 brand new speakers and the old ones used to have the same problem. Could this be because i do not have a big enough capacitor or maybe its a ground problem or maybe i need bigger power wires and splitters. All of my rca's and speaker wire connections are good and none of them are cut or messed up, as ive rewired the system about a week ago and the same problems keep happening.

Gold Member
Username: Dustin3

D&L Audio Tech.Dustin

Post Number: 4997
hmmm. sounds like alot of stuff you have going on here. What does your voltage read when your speakers and/or subs cut in and out? It could be that your voltage is having a hard time and that may mean upgrading your alternator and batt big 3 upgrade. check the voltage and let me know what it shows. Also, did you set the gains (level) on your amps correctly with a dmm?

Username: Sr68790

New York, NY

Post Number: 5
hey bassman, thanks for the input, ill try reading my voltage, but do you really think i need to upgrade my alternator?...its 130amps. LOL im still a bit new to this car audio thing, whats a dmm?

Username: Professorbase

TX USA

Post Number: 1
mechanics nightmare...problematic, erratic ins and outs. I would suspect the rca cables , but you said they are new..I've bought faulty cables before and most failures occur at the plug. Couple of things..... Make sure everything is nice and tight...make sure everything is well grounded (scrape the metal for good contact)..make sure you don't run rca signal cables along side power wires or you can pick up noise. Check for any snags or kinks in the cabling to make sure they aren't shorting out.
Lastly, make sure your amps are well ventilated and getting plenty of air over the heat sinks..especially the bass amp.
As Bassman said, check your voltage at the time of the speakers " cutting out " with a dmm.
I'm sure he means a digital multi meter.
If all else fails, rewire or put everything on a test bench and test it to duplicate the problem.
Good luck
PB
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us