Matching an amp to a sub

Username: Theunderach1ever

Toledo, OH USA

Post Number: 1
I just bought a Power Acoustik P2-12W dual 4ohm subwoofer along with a 1.2cu ft sealed box. This is my first system and I'm having trouble selecting an amp. The specs on the manufacturer's website list 700w rms and 1400 peak. I am looking to keep costs under 175. I have been looking for something with the same rms but have found a few amps that are slightly over . I am considering the Profile AP1500m (650/1500), Crunch P1500.1 (750/1500) or Phoenix Gold Ryval v8001 (800/1600) all at 2ohms. I figure if I keep the gain down then I should be fine with something with a higher rms. Does anyone have any alternate suggestions or experiences with the amps listed? If it helps at all the pre amps on the hu are 2.5v.

TIA

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10204
Crunch and profile are crap.... PG makes decent stuff.

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2788
Don't look at the max power what you want is RMS. You will need an amp that does 600-800 @ 2ohms.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1739
They're all servicable budget amps.
Profile's not a bad amp. Outside this forum they get a LOT of praise as some of the more durable amps in their price range, and power is close to accurate. PG has a long history of good gear, but the Ryval series gets mixed reviews - it's just another budget amp with a good name. That Crunch is a twin of the Hifonics Txi7508. Should be a decent performer, and being at 2 ohms would keep the stress level low since it's supposed to be capable of 1 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1498
maybe look for a kicker zx750.1?? would provide plenty of power.

and lOwlife is correct, only look at RMS ratings. Peak watts mean nothing

Username: Theunderach1ever

Toledo, OH USA

Post Number: 2
I ended up going with the crunch p1500.1. Turns out the sub is only 600rms but I think it should still be ok.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us