Alternator Questions

Silver Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 107
Why does one need an upgraded alternator when going high power (> 1000rms)? Isn't the vehicle battery able to deliver the additional current?

I understand that battery voltage is ~12v vs the 14.4v supplied by the alternator. Sure, this decreases power output on amps w/ unregulated supplies. But if you factor that in (buy your amp with +20% power), wouldn't the battery suffice? The battery is more than capable of supplying huge amounts of power upon demand (e.g vehicle starter).

The amp is never going to run 100% duty cycle, unless you've got a sine wave at the input. So it's likely that the battery will be charged intermittently when power demand for the amps is low.

Is any of this making sense? I could be barking up the wrong tree, just wanted to get more info on the subject. TIA!

Bronze Member
Username: Wickedbass

Nashville, Tn

Post Number: 17
It takes power to make power.

Maybe this will help...

http://www.termpro.com/articles/electsys.html

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8581
Problem is with bass heavy music there is not enough time for the alternator to recharge the battery in between current draw spikes when the bass hits.

The HO alternator charges the battery 2x-3x as fast, makes a big difference. Of course you also need a good high capacity battery to store that current.

Silver Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 111
A lead acid battery at full discharge under load should still produce near 11v-- Therefore I see no need in upgrading electrical components unless you find the battery being dead (or close) after extended periods of operation. Am I correct?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 8590
Look at it like this.

Amplifier is drawing more current than alternator can supply (on average).

Battery has to pick up the slack and discharge current. The more current taken from the battery the more the voltage drops.

And since you're taking out more than you're putting in, well it shouldn't be hard to understand. BTW drops to 11v and under is pretty bad.

Think about it, if high capacity batteries and HO alternators were'nt needed would people buy them?
Edit: That may be a bad analogy now that I think about it, since capacitors don't do jack, and people buy those. But thats another issue.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1641
a lot of bad things start to happen when the alt is barely big enough to keep the battery charged, as the voltage falls everything demands more current. It's just a bad situation to get into.

1000 on most stock systems will work ok. You start to get 1500+ and you're probably going to find the limit of a lot stock charging systems -- assuming you like to blast it now and then.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us