Amp for JL W6's

Username: Anarchy2010

RL, WI US o A

Post Number: 2
I have 2 12" JL Audio w6v2's in an ported box, they are dual 4 ohm voice coils. Right now i have them wired down to 1 ohm on a Power Acoustik gothic series OV1-4000D, the amp claims 2,200 rms @ 1 ohm (amp has 120 amps(4x30) onboard fusing). I can get a deal on a JL 1000/1, should i keep my amp or go for the 1000/1?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 10343
Your power acoustic amp puts out about 1200 watts rms. So going with the jl amp would not be an upgrade power wise.

RL, WI US o A

Post Number: 3
Yeah I figured the power output would be about the same, but I have a stock alternator with two optimas, a red and a yellow, do you think it would be worth the change for the efficiency gain off the JL and the cleaner signal or am i better off just keeping the PA one

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6472
i'd just keep the pa map personally unless you have the money to waste. also, the 1000/1 isn't very efficient (from what a jl tech has posted before).

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10372
Even if the jl was more efficient and mike says hes seen evidence that it isnt very efficient. It would be a waste of money for what it would mean power wise. And you more than likely wouldnt hear the difference by ear db wise. Having the electrical covered is what matters most and you have that covered.

RL, WI US o A

Post Number: 4
Alright, i was really leaning towards getting it just because it was cheap, but i think i will just keep this amp, thanks for the advice. One last question, if the amp is already powered on, for example if i shut the car off and the radio is still going on retained accessory power, if i start the car again without opening the door to power everything off, it bumps the subs once. Is it my amp or why does it do that

Gold Member
Username: Bonhamd

Post Number: 1035
check all of your connections. it could be your ground.

that bump noise happened in my brothers van until i changed his ground.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 10387
I agree it sounds like its the ground.

RL, WI US o A

Post Number: 6
Alright, i have it grounded to the passenger side fender at a factory ground right now, where should i move it to, or could it be because the ground wire is just too long

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5484
move it to the trunk, you can ground it to some screws on the left side of the trunk OR in some cases go to your back seat and you might find some screws

RL, WI US o A

Post Number: 7
It is in my trunk, about 3 feet from my box and like 2 feet from my second battery, under the carpet by the wheel well there was some factory stuff grounded to a bolt so i put it on there
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us