Not enough power?

Username: Lance86

Winnemucca , Nevada Us

Post Number: 2
I have 2 1200w 12" sony explodes in my blazer I have a lanzar vibe 251 1600w amp hooked up and it will not power both of my subs I mean it sounds like crap!! I know that explodes are crap anyways but it shouldn't sound that bad at all...I have checked all my wiring and it is all good, The only thing that I can think of is my amp isnt big enough.....when I have one sub bridged it hits just fine can someone help me or give me some suggestions?

Silver Member
Username: Cd5honda96

OR United States

Post Number: 119
Have you thought about just getting something better?
If not then tell us more i.e what gauge power wire, hu, type of car it's in.
or if you want something new give a budget and what you want to upgrade.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5466
IMO SELL EVERYTHING ASAP

Username: 07jetblack675

Post Number: 4
my first sound system consisted of 2 sony xplodes and a tiny kenwood amp. It's all about their setup - you can make them sound soooo good (for the price, of course). I had them hitting better than 2 L7s (which imo were set up incorrectly).

Anyway, I suggest keep them if money is a problem for now and play with the setup - you will learn a lot if you try to make crappy speakers sound good.

The trick with the Xplodes is that they sound really crappy when you try to play certain frequencies. They like to be in the higher frequencies (hence why they are cheaper), and cannot really hit the low notes (like 20-50 hz). When it plays songs that have lower notes, it plays them at higher frequencies which makes them sound like crap. Basically, you have to play around with either your hu, or amp (if it has the features) to move around the frequency to the appropriate level. Also, do not raise the gain too high on the amp to make up for it being weak - all that does is distort the amp's signal, not really giving you more power. When you see that the sound is distorted, you need to lower the gain. If the amp can't power both subs, use just one sub - lower clean bass is better than louder sloppy bass imo.

Hope that helps.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 5471
marin... EXPLAIN TO ME... WHAT made your xplodes sound louder than 2 L7s?

M.S read this haha

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1107
"M.S read this haha"

X2 exactly what i was thinking LOL

Post Number: 5
All you have to do is get the right sized wire (I had 4ga then), find the right amp which outputs its power where the sony's need it (around 150 hz I believe), put a 1 farad cap, and tune them using a voltmeter. They output 300w RMS @ 4 ohm each, so I put in a frequency CD and found their peak frequency and set the appropriate input voltage. When you put on a song with short bass hits (the high frequency bass), it will pound pretty nice for sonys.

I'm not saying they were crazy nice, but nice enough for a cheap setup.

Just for clarification, I didn't say they hit harder than the L7s, just nicer. If you put the gain all the way up or don't know how to set the frequency when tuning subs, you will have $1000 speakers sound like crap. Am I wrong on this? So, before being sarcastic and jumping to conclusions, you need to check yourself and actually READ what I wrote.

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 6451
*note to self, never take advice from marin*

Post Number: 6
why is that?

Gold Member
Username: 04redmach1

Es DEALER, GA USA

Post Number: 2282
Sony's have a very crappy cone, spyder, and coil. If you plan on running over 150 rms, Sony is NOT the way to go. Their amps are trash so don't evenlook at them. 150hz is mid range my friend, not a subwoofer range. 50/60hz and lower is your sub stage.

I suggest you sell everything and start over. We can help ALOT more in that case. Did you buy your things new or used?

Kevin

Gold Member
Username: Drant19

DUB-C, TX

Post Number: 1116
"find the right amp which outputs its power where the sony's need it (around 150 hz I believe), put a 1 farad cap, and tune them using a voltmeter."

all horrible information...caps are never needed.

Username: Lance86

Winnemucca , Nevada Us

Post Number: 3
I bought the sonys new and the amp was givin to me and it was used very little before it came into my possesion. My ground is 6 gauge and it is maybe 10 inches long attached to the seat bolt and the floor(bare metal) my power wire is 4 gauge with a inline fuse. I have no clue what amp it is. I brigded one speaker and ran it for about 20 min and it sent my amp into protect mode.....I disconnected everything but the RCAs and it is still in protect so I didnt blow my speaker.....If say I had 500 dollars what would be a good setup speaker, and and headset?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us