When I turn up the volume radio turns off

Username: Dodgeramguy

Chapel Hill, Tn USA

Post Number: 1
I have purchased a 2000 dodge ram and when i turn up the volume on the stereo the head-unit just turns it self off. BUT i can unhook the wiring harness for approx 20 seconds plug it back in and it works again until I get to approx volume # 28, it is an after market stereo its a kenwood KDC-X679 and the speakers in the front are Kenwood 6x9's but the ones in the back are not even hooked up. can anyone please tell me what could be going on? I've been tryin to fix it myself for almost a week and getting very frustrated. Any suggestions would be helpful

THANKS

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1010
one of your speakers or leads is ether grounding out or touching the body somehwhere. or your over taxing the radio causeing the amp in the radio to trip a internal saftey fuse. last cause that it could be is the radio is not gettign enough voltage or the radio just palinly has a internal fault and needs to be replaced.

Silver Member
Username: Theivan

Dawson Creek, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 121
capacitor might help?

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 148
no/
how many speakers do you have hooked up? how many watts is the radio per channel (example 50wX4). do u have any amps hooked up? are u using speaker level inputs or rca's? if u use speaker level inputs, it may be too much for the radio to handle.OR like he said above u may have speaker wires touching. i had this problem too and i changed to rca's instead of the level inputs and it worked fine it was a JVC 50x4 radio w/cd had 1 xplode 1000w and a kenwood KAC628 hooked to it.

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1245
a cap ? effin cap? hellll no ! man i can't believe you said that. as i tried to mention but was bit to tired to put correctly. the radio has to much power trying to be ran through it. your basiclly trying push a boulder up a mountain with 1 man. your heating the radios internal amp up and its going into protect. you can get smaller speakers or a amplifier, that would solve your problems. also unless original poster or viable reason please don't dig up a old thread.

Username: Reconnin

Post Number: 1
Hey Jason did you ever get you problem fixed? I have a 99 Dakota giving me a problem too!

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 252
Lee, whats wromng with the Dakota

Post Number: 2
When I turn radio up not loud but mid range it powers off then comes back on. And if I don't lower the volume it cycles off and on again!

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 257
k. check the speakerwires. how many speakers do u have. any amps, how many.loose wires. what power rating doe the radio have.

example: 50x4

Post Number: 3
I have 4 speakers all factory. used a connector that plugs into the factory connector. it is a 50x4. could the factory speakers be the problem?

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 259
no amps.

Post Number: 4
no amps

Silver Member

Fort Valley, GA

Post Number: 260
hmm. what make and model is the player? factory or aftermarket?check ur power and ground connections. i have my radui straight wired to the battery. alot of times on these cars more than one thing is on the fuse with the radio wich is taking away from the radio. if its not getting enough power it will do this. if there are loose wires. it will do this and if it no groundedor powerd right it will do this. and for ppl that have amps. if you have too much stuff on the remote wire it will also cut off at high volumes. i had a cadillac deville that did the same thing. i ended up changing the radio. I hope u dont have a pioneer radio?

Gold Member

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1406
actually alot of these problems are cause by improper load put on the radio. if you put to big of speakers on the radio that the radio can't push the radio over heats and suts off to protect it'sself. thats typically meaning the sound cuts out but if the whole radio is shutting off you could be acctually over powering your stock speakers and causeing the radio to trip and reset it's self. the only other cause is improper power, double check ur tied into a 12 volt source. tieing into the battery is not a must and rarely needed the cause of a radio shutting off being tied to stock wiring is acctually due to a weak ground wire in the case of my car i ran 8 guage to my body and wit a brass scew soldered the ground to the brass screw and radio ground after that never had any blink or under power issues.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us