Looking for info on Kenwood KAC 7201

Silver Member
Username: Durski

Post Number: 289
Hookin this up to 2 12" kicker cvr's rated at 400w @ 2 ohms per sub. Need to know if they will be underpowered, amp is rated at 230w @ 2 ohm x 2. Anyone got a birth sheet?

Amp is not stable at 2 ohms bridged.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1499
Kenwood's are pretty accurately rated. You won't get a bunch of bonus power, that's for sure.

Does 2 ohms per sub mean they're dvc 2's or dvc 4's you've already wire for 2 ohms each?

I guess it doesn't matter much. They're either getting about 50% rated power, or about 30%.

Nothing wrong with underpowering, just a little less output than if you got 400 to them.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6635
Don't get that amp....... kenwood amps are one of the worst out there. Extremely high failure rates.

Silver Member

Post Number: 290
Already have the amp, thinking about gettin the kickers and just want to know if they will be underpowered and risk damaging the subs because of it. (for a friend's setup) I believe the subs are DVC 4 ohm, we'd wire each of them down to 2 ohms then run each sub off it's own channel on the amp.

Is there a way to wire them together so that I could bridge the amp and get a 4 ohm load with 1 set of wires from the amp to the subs?

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1500
"just want to know if they will be underpowered and risk damaging the subs because of it."

If the gain is set correctly - no chance whatsoever. Even if you do crank the gain and clip that amp to pieces (which you obviously should NOT be doing) it's highly unlikely you're going to damage those subs with an amp of that power.

"Is there a way to wire them together so that I could bridge the amp and get a 4 ohm load with 1 set of wires from the amp to the subs?"

yes, but 2 ohms stereo will net the same power as 4 ohms mono.
You'd do it like this:
Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
which would be less stressfull on the amp and electrical system, 4 ohms mono or 2 ohms stereo?

Gold Member

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1502
equal, but bridged is slightly advantageous as far as the subs are concerned.

unless your alternator's teeny tiny it shouldn't matter. Most stock charging systems could handle two of those amps w/o an issue.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us