Need help with batteries.

Silver Member
Username: 2000celica

Roanoke, VA U.s.

Post Number: 110
my plan is to get 2 new batteries for my car. one for the normal battery spot and then an extra to place in my trunk. the batteries i am thinking of going with are the yellow top automotive Optima batteres. each battery puts out 750 cold cranking amps, giving me a total of 860 extra cold cranking amp than my original stock battery. I also plan to install a 170 amp HO alternator and upgrade the wiring to it (the big 3).

A few questions I have now are:

1.) are these yellow top Optimas a good choice? i could also get the red tops which are cheaper in price but put out 800 CCA vs. 750 CCA with the yellow top.

2.) what is this extra 860 CCA going to do as far as powering my system?

3.) can i just hook the 2nd battery to the main 0 guage wiring i have running from the front to my capacitor? hook it up before it runs into the cap and use the same pos. and negitive wires, using the same ground the cap is grounded with?

as far as the amount of power i will be pulling i currently have the RF4004 amp for my main speakers and then will have the MD.2D pushing my sub.

4.) will this set-up be enough power for what i will be running, is it not enough, just right, or overkill?

here is a shot of my trunk and of the extra wire and area for a second battery.

Upload
Upload

yeah the wires are mess for now, once i get a new set-up installed i'll straighten everything up nice and neat.

Silver Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 143
for the stock replacement, a yellowtop will work. for your trunk, for car audio you want a batt that discharges quickly i.e Kenetic, olympia, ect. i think you will need a batt isolator sence the site and amps of the batts will be different. Just wire it inline with the stock batt. + to + and - to -. Don't know bout the capicator. on the forun, they are refered to a electrical band aids.

Bronze Member
Username: Bumpin_buick

Appleton, Wisconsin USA

Post Number: 90
DC sounds LFB 2k. They have amazingly quick discharge. If you have any more questions on them let me know

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 6249
You don't wire an isolator inline. Readup on bcae1.com about isolators.

You don't need a capacitor, or even 2 batteries for that matter.

Bronze Member
Username: Baalpeteor

Post Number: 66
i have a similar question but i'm putting it in its own thread because it is alot of reading...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us