Gear shift hard to move??? mechanics help

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

They Love 2 Hate Me, Most Hated a... USA

Post Number: 1379
Yest I notcied my gear shift is a lot harder to move then usual any clue what it might be? Transmission in trouble???
I got an 05 toyota camry

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1061
Have you had it a while? When that happened with my stang I replaced the whole clutch assembly. I paid a mechanic I think it was <300

Silver Member
Username: Tycoonbob

Post Number: 115
well, when i had my zx3...it did that a lot when it was below like 20 degrees outside...until it warms up.

Gold Member
Username: Mj23dynasty

They Love 2 Hate Me, Most Hated a... USA

Post Number: 1385
Yea it has been cold as hell here the last couple days. I also read that if u spill coffee or soda near there the sugar hardens up after time and makes it hard to move.

I had it for like 6 months it got like 60K on it I bought it used.

Username: Bangforthebuck

Post Number: 4
i recently installed a short throw shifter on my 5 speed and once you take out the middle console you can see pretty much everything down there, i would do that and see if something is grinding or needs to be cleaned up, hope it helps!

Gold Member
Username: Tejcurrent

Post Number: 1080
^If you do that you should be able to tell if something is gunking it up you can take care of, or if it's a mechanical problem you should take somewhere.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 3399
shift cable may be rusted.

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 608
yea when i put in my short shifter, i lubed the area up with white lithium grease

shifts smooth as butter, except for 2nd and 3rd gear lol and 1st, but thats not my fault...previous owner did a number on her

do what banger and jones said and maybe put some lithium grease on the joints see if that helps

Gold Member
Username: Crayola0

2008 Nissan Versa!!, Wisconsin

Post Number: 2285
id prolly say its the cold cuase when i start my car in the morning the clutch is hard to push in as well until it warms up

Silver Member
Username: Jnoel

AIM= j69noel, KY

Post Number: 990
if it's a manual your clutch fluid may be low.....but i dont think camry's come in sticks

Silver Member
Username: Nickyp0219

Post Number: 614
that they do my friend...personally driven in one

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2026
I doubt he would make that up noel. lol

I have a 5spd and I dont have any problems when its cold here... But then again, cold here is only 35 degrees.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us