8g Wiring

Bronze Member
Username: Bn1

Post Number: 18
So, gonna install an amp that does 150wrms at 4 channels. I thought 8 gauge would be ok but just wanted to check here first?

Also, anyone know of some cheap but at least decent kits out there?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4338
This looks good but its a bit pricey and i know its 4awg but idk, it would allow more room for upgrading

Also, on the rca cable, do I need like a 4 channel RCA cable being that the amp is four channel?

Bronze Member
Username: Waresgaragestereo

Fort Valley, GA United States

Post Number: 67
Yes, 8Ga wire will work. But if you ever decide to run dual amps, bigger wire and a kit for 2 amps is a must.

Personally, i'd go ahead and use the 2 amp kit with the 4GA wire because you never know what you'll do to your system in the future. the kit in the link above is for one amp. I use the kits from Wal Mart.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
As for the Rca Cable, no the included rca cable will work. all four channel means is that it has four outs to speakers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Thanks for clearing that up, but the dual amp kit.. what is the difference?

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1279
Here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KnuKonceptz-Complete-4-Gauge-4-Channel-Amp-Install-Kit_W0QQi temZ220194666927QQihZ012QQcategoryZ71528QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thats great wire, rca's and a good price.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
a dual amp kit has a spitter for the power wire. you put the split block on the end of the power wire and run 2 seperate wires to both amps. you also have to have a RCA Splitter not included.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Why do places sometimes advertise amp kits as like "2 Channel amp kit" or "4 Channel amp kit"? Do you get all the same stuff and more speaker wire? Or is it different stuff all together?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
I've never seen that. but I'm preety sure that all the same power wires and jacks come and you get more speaker wire. there's nothing diff. about the power/ground/remote hookup of a four channel amp, you have more channels for speakers.

bN1, this is Zach Ware, i just changed the name.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5814
The 4ch amp kit would come with either 2 sets of RCAs, or a set of 4ch RCAs

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
.. so a 4 ch amp does require a different amount of RCA connections?

And will all head units have the proper amount of inputs to accommodate a 4 channel amp? or will I have to find the right type?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5822
A 4 channel amp has 4 RCA connections from the HU, a 2ch amp has 2

Cheap HUs often only have one set of RCA outputs, so get a good HU.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
alright man, thanks a lot

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6661
If you ever plan to upgrade your system in the future it would be wise to always get a thicker gauge wire. Like M.S. said a 4 channel amp will have 4 RCA inputs and they're front left, front right, rear left, rear right, usually. Instead of running an RCA cable with 4 lines you can run a single cable with a left and right channel and use Y RCA cables to split your signal from 4 to 2 channels but you wouldn't have a front and rear signal. Personally I'd run all "front" signals anyways. 4 channel sound in a car is kind of pointless to me in a vehicle unless you're watching movies, in that case you want 5.1 or 6.1 sound at the least :-)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 5875
Rear speakers in a car are not advisable to begin with, but if somebody insists on running them it's good to have front/rear fade ability I think.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6678
It's nice to have control over the front to rear fade in ways but if you're running a 4 channel amp you can just tune the gain in order to adjust your levels from front to rear. The head unit would function in the same manner by increasing or decreasing the voltage through the RCAs.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us