01 Pathfinder broken Bose disk changer to Ipod interface fix details

Username: Boughy

Amherst, NY, NY USA

Post Number: 4
This is a Fix for a 2001 Pathfinder broken 6 Bose disk changer and converting the port to be an iPod input. You will keep full use of steering controls, keep sound quality, and keep cost to under $165 to fix. After a lot of research I have accomplished my goal of getting my broken Bose 6 disk changer out of my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. Please note this is the 2" radio/tape head unit and 2" separate 6 disk changer right below it (not the 4in all in one unit). Be sure to disconnect your negative car battery cable when doing all this. I utilized the USA Spec iPod Interface from Crutchfield.com. Contrary to reviews, and what some Crutchfield reps told me the Item #581PA11NIS does work with this Bose system. I verified this with USA Spec and after install it works in my Pathy. Be sure to order the Dash Pocket Item #120889000 to fill in the slot nicely left when you remove the old CD changer. This item fits perfectly and works with the very sturdy original brackets that hold the stereo and old changer in place. I kept the Bose head unit in for ease of keeping the steering wheel controls (since they will work with this Ipod adapter) and cost efficiency. Plus it sounds good for a stock stereo. The filler that Crutchfield suggests (Nissan Kit item# 003NDK717) does not fit with the factory 2" Bose head unit. Do not buy that piece unless you plan to do an aftermarket stereo. Then you are on your own since I can not provide info on that install. Also if you could please when you order these pieces from Crutchfield.com use my referral code. I can earn a credit. My code is p7w8h-itfs7-c1x8d , you can tell that to a rep or enter it into the special offers box when cashing out. I would really appreciate it.

So the USA Spec ipod adapter sounds good and works well with the system. The install is a bit confusing and I will do my best to explain the install. 1st do a google search for removal of the dash. There are some good ones out there, I liked this one (http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/pathfinder/). Although I found that there are two clips above the heater vent. So try to do the same technique for a clip that is located at the top left of the heater vents just like instructions show for top right.

I completely removed the unit but after doing that I am not 100% sure it is completely needed. It could help but the screws holding the head unit and cd changer in were hard as hell for me to get loose. So I took the radio completely out for more leverage.
Here is the breakdown of how the Ipod interface connects. On the end of the Ipod adapter cord that goes into the Bose radio head unit there are three
connectors. Two of these get plugged into the radio/tape player head unit and one (the large male end) goes into a different end. The two small ones go into the back of the stereo and the big one (with Male ends) goes into I think what used to plug into the back of the cd changer. If you are looking at the back of the radio unit holding the back facing you (as I was) you will see four ports for end to go into, two white and two black. You only need to unplug two of them. If you count #1 as the top left and #3 as the bottom left you will unplug #1 and #4. The two smaller connections from the ipod interface unit plug into these areas. They will only fit certain ones so it should be easy to figure out. The two end you took out remain out and hang loose after installation. Then plug the large male end into the only open slot that will take a Male end. I think this wire used to be in the back of the cd changer. This should get you all set.

What I did for mounting was use some (3) Velcro mounting strips from a local store to secure the iPod interface box to some white plastic behind where the stereo goes. I think this is the plastic that runs up to the vents. I also drilled a hole big enough in the back of the dash pocket for me to run the cable that goes to my ipod and back to the interface box through this. Since the part that goes into the ipod is bigger than the hole you need to drill it will never slip through. Be sure to arrange for slack in the line to work with your ipod and song selection later. Please note that this pocket dash fit real well but it has slots to hold 3 cds. I was not in love with this idea but it is the best fit, it looks great when the dash is together, and is a small inconvenience. Do not worry all ipods should fit with this. I have the larger 60bg ipod and it fits in between the slots to hold cds.

I hope that helps all of you replace these junk bose disk changers and fill your Pathy with loads of music. If you have any questions post back. I will try and keep an eye on this so I can help. It took me forever to figure all this out so if I can help just one person mission accomplished.

Username: Striker

Post Number: 1
2001 pathfinder cd err2 code victum......

repaired the cd changer the first time using the love tap method after getting disk out and re-installing. a few months later changer stopped working. sought help from the local dealer and parts department and the manager amazingly had never heard of this problem. and clarion / nissan makes a great product. I mentioned all the love the cd changer problem was getting on the internet and seems to be an reaccuring defect. when i purchased the pathfinder 01' used i got oen of theose bumper to bumper warrenty's but it did not cover the factory radio......

Does any one have an idea what other nissan factory cd changers or single cd units work with the 01 bose system? or should should i just send in the changer to get fixed?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us