Post Number: 417
Running a RESX12 with 1400RMS
Getting O AWG Power Wire in replace of my 4 AWG
What Size Alternator should be good?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4310
You should always get the biggest alternator possible. I would want at least a 150 amp.

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Clover GroveIm rich btch...

Post Number: 418
would you also suggest to upgrade my big 3 with the bigger alternator, correct?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4314
Not just suggest it, it's required when installing an HO alternator. Unless ya want to burn up your stock wires by putting too much current through too small a wire

Silver Member
Username: Greeney1888

Clover GroveIm rich btch...

Post Number: 419
Would it hurt my amp if got a 1000RMS amp and ran it on my stock alt because i had a 1500RMS amp and it stopped working and they said it was because a connection was loose but then i had another person say it was from not enough power to the amp

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4380
It will work, until you turn the volume up to a certain point, then it will start clipping, andyour voltage starts dropping, as the alternator doesn't have enough power.

You won't get 1500 watts from it on a stock alt.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 6090
"Unless ya want to burn up your stock wires by putting too much current through too small a wire "

It won't burn up the wires but it will choke the performance of the charging system. I've known lots of people that installed HO alts without thicker wiring and didn't burn up the wires. Have you heard of any incidents where that has happened M.S.?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6091
Well...I do know that wires CAN burn from too much amperage as it builds up too much heat from resistance but have you actually heard of it happening in a car? That's what I was trying to ask.

Bronze Member
Username: Zxt

Post Number: 14
Do I still need to upgrade my alternator if I only have HU, Seps and Coax? I'm planning to add amp and small sub later on. BTW, for car buffs, is there drawbacks in putting too large alternator?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6158
Usually the only drawback to an alternator that's too large is that with alternators they usually lose idle amperage as they get bigger but put out more in the higher RPM range.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us