Adding secondary battery...

Bronze Member
Username: Spankinurwoofers

GR, MI US

Post Number: 30
I'm looking to add a Kinetik KHC1800 to my system. I'm not replacing the stock battery, i'm just putting it in the trunk...how do I wire it, and what all do I need to do this??? Thanks.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4179
You'd be better off replacing the stock battery. To run 2 different batteries you would need to use an isolator (expensive) and the only benifit you get from it is that the system can be played with the engine off without draining the front battery.

The only time you can directly wire batteries together is when you have 2 or more of the exact same battery.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6671
Actually, installing an isolator is not expensive. Just takes a bit more time and effort.
You can get one for around $50 - $100.
An isolator will do more than just allow you to play with engine off. It also isolates the 2 batteries so that the starter battery NEVER gets drained by the stereo. This is handy if you play radio loud with or without engine off.
For complete instructions, google isolator installation. It also comes with the isolator you buy.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 5965
I agree installing an isolator isn't really expensive as long as you install it yourself.Paying a shop to do it will cost you a good buck.

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 31
so would it be easier/cheaper/more practical to just replace the stock batt then? Also, what batteries are best, and what size for a 1600 wrms(rated) system?

Gold Member

Post Number: 6673
It's not cheaper nor is it more practical. It's just easier for noobs.
Please don't throw away your perfectly working battery. There's plenty of garbage in the landfills already.
A good battery might cost around $170. A HO alternator starts from $139. Which do you think is the correct choice?

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 32
i personally just don't want to replace the alt...because it's lodged practically INSIDE the engine...i have to tear the top off of the engine(don't know what its actually called, lol) just to get to it. and i was planning on getting a battery anyways. so replace stock batt, or add another with an isolator??? Thanks.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4183
You won't get much benifit from replacing the battery if the one you have now is good.

Are you even having any issues with the electrical system? If so: the alternator is the soruce of power and and HO alt is the only way to get more power.

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 33
i think the battery's fine, which is why i wanted to add another battery, instead of replacing it...but mostly the lights dim a LOT. where could I get a HO alternator? eBay?

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4192
Another battery will not fix dimming lights. Some amount of light dimming will happen no matter what. If your voltage is dropping though, you need an HO alternator.

What car do you have

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 34
I've got a '98 Jetta GLX VR6 (has a stock 120 amp alt.)

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4193
Iraggi has this alternator, but their reliability is questionable

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/200-amp-Iraggi-Alternator-93-99-Volkswagen_W0QQcm dZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ018QQitemZ7957000172

I would recommend contacting Ohio Generator and see what they have

www.ohiogen.com

Bronze Member

GR, MI US

Post Number: 35
yea...haha, anywhere that would have cheaper alternators? or is that about the cheapest? thanks for the help.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4207
Thats the cheapest your gonna find

Gold Member

Post Number: 5984
I don't know who I'd get an alternator from if I had to these days...all of them have bad reputation now...Ohio Generators don't put out rated amperage, I know someone who was also using one and it just died. Iraggi never responds to people and his customer service is way down and I recently heard problems with the alternators he's been making. I've also heard problems with Excessive Amperage alternators not producing what they should. I haven't heard anything bad about PowerMaster or the other companies out there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6677
I got mine from 4alterstart.com.
I was going to buy one from Iraggi before, bit he took 2 weeks to respond.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4211
Rob can you prove that they don't put out rated amperage? Because I always seen good performance from them.

For american vehicles: alterstart, MCR (motor city reman), and DB Electrical are good.......

Gold Member

Post Number: 6016
Well M.S. in a head to head battle between a 300 amp Ohio Gen alt and a 200 amp Iraggi alt the Iraggi won.It was a 20 page long thread on Termpro lol, I can't remember at what RPM they did this test and all the variables but in the end the Iraggi won the battle and was quite a bit cheaper. I've heard of quite a few people saying Ohio Gen suck. Like I said I only know one guy in real life that ran one and had problems.

Silver Member
Username: Demon_pride

Crowder, Oklahoma USA

Post Number: 224
Yeah I can't see why MS is so biased against Iraggi. I don't know ANYONE who has had problems with him. I will have to say MCR is great though. That guy has some damn good service, only the warranty isn't as good as others.

Gold Member

Northwest PA

Post Number: 4625
Hahaha

Post a thread in the sub section with "Has anyone had problems with Iraggi" and wait for the responses.

You can do the same for EA.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us