Stable Setup? Technical Ohm Question...

Username: Chronichaze

Post Number: 3
Hello to all-
I recently bought my friends Audiobahn Flame Q12 Sub (AW1206T) and I already own an Audiobahn 2-Channel Amp (A8002V). Now, the Sub has dual 4Ohm Voice Coils, and is stable @ 2ohm or 8ohm operation. It is also rated to handle 1100watts RMS (with a 1600W peak I think).

The amp specs are:
200 X 2 at 4 Ohms Stereo
400 x 2 at 2 Ohms Stereo
800 x 1 at 4 Ohms Mono

I don't think my friend had his wired for bridged operation as he was running it off the exact same Amp, except his was a single-channel (A800T) with the only operation mode being: 800 x 1 at 2 Ohms Mono

My question is this:
Is my best bet to just run an output to each Voice Coil? (400 x 2 at 2 Ohms Stereo) or would it be safe to run it bridged (800 x 1 at 4 Ohms Mono )?

I also have an Audiobahn 1-Farad Capacitor keeping the power regulated with all this (Audiobahn ACAP7P)...Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

I have a basic knowledge of system setups, but I haven't owned any DVC subs before, so I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to figuring out stable Ohm operations via wiring.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Northwest PA

Post Number: 3564
That amp is not going to work with that sub. You can't wire each coil to a different channel as both coils have to exactly the same signal.

The only way to wire that sub to that amp would be to wire the coils in series for 8 ohms total, and then you would only get about 400 watts to the sub.

You need an amp like your friend's, 1 channel mono, about 1500 watts at 2 ohms would be ideal.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6560
How many subs do you have? If it's only one, then you'll only be able to run each channel @ 4ohm load.
If it's not a great sub to start with, then you can get around 800w by shorting out one of the VC on the sub, and use the other one on the amp (bridged).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us