Will This Work?

Silver Member
Username: Kaerfpl

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 538
Soon i'll be installing my new system and I know im going to need a more powerful battery. I've been looking around and I found this battery: https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7324_Kinetik+HC+600.html#

There are two things that I am unsure of though. For one, will this battery be enough power? I'll be doing 1200 Watts with a Ed NINe.1. Secondly, would this even fit into my car which is a 96' Grand Prix?

Username: Brent113

Post Number: 3
Are you planning on listening to the stereo with the car on? In that case you need a high output alternator, and here's why:

When the car is on the battery has around 14 volts. The alternator's purpose is to run the car and charge the battery. In order to put more charge into a battery, you must have a higher voltage, so the alternator will run at a little higher voltage than your battery.

Now your stereo needs power, so what's it going to pull it from? As far as your amplifier is concerned the battery doesn't even exist unless you pull so much current the entire system drops in voltage (bad). This is when lights start dimming and you run the risk of cooking your alternator if it gets too bad.

So in summary: new alternator.

If you are planning on listening to it with the car off, an spl rule of thumb is 1 battery per 500w of power.

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 539
So I could buy a more powerfull alt and still keep my stock battery? or should I replace both and do a Big 3?

Bronze Member
Username: Cblaze

Tn Us

Post Number: 39
big 3 deffinetly,most vehicles only have 10 gauge wire coming from the alternater needs to be 0 gauge,and i would just add another battery dont have to be the most expensive,probably could get a 500 amp battery at walmart very cheap,and a alternater definetly

Silver Member

Spencerport, NY USA

Post Number: 540
Well i don't have any problem spending some extra money to get something like that knietics battery.

Ok, so lets say I get a second battery with a new alt and wiring. how would I wire the new battery to the stock battery? Pos to Pos and Neg to Neg?

Username: Brent113

Post Number: 8
Use an isolation relay in between the batteries' positive terminal. Tie the relay turn on to when the key is in the Run position. This prevents the accessory battery from being drained when the car is off or being started. Stinger makes a large relay as well as smaller ones, depending on how much current is going to be flowing between the batteries.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us