Wiring for my sytem (JL Audio Stuff)

Bronze Member
Username: Malby7

Post Number: 14
I drive a Ford Focus ZX3. Well I have a Pioneer DEH-P7500MP deck, a JL Audio 300/4 amp, and a JL Audio 500/1 amp. The 4 channel amp runs 4 Rockford Fosgate 6"x8" Speakers, and the 500/1 will be running a JL Audio 10W7.

If you could please tell me how you would wire my system (wire gauges, distribution block?, where you would wire stuff) and what is the total amount of fuse ratings (OEM fuse ratings for each amp, head-unit, etc.) Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Can anyone help me?

Unregistered guest
first of all, your system will take about 100 amps to power both amps (40 for the 300/4 and 50 for the 500/1). you will need to upgrade your battery and/or the alternator. from the posotive battery post you will need to run a 2 gauge power cable to a power distributor block inside the car to split it off into two 4 gauge power cables (the amps only accept up to 4 gauge). the main power cable should also be fused with a 100 amp fuse (jl audio sells a master anl fuse block). there should already be a 10 amp fuse in the fuse box for the deck itself so you dont have to worry about that. that would be what you would need for power requirments. the speaker would need a speaker cable about 12 gauge and the sub (the same one i have) should be 8 gauge. and for the RCA cables from the deck to the amplifiers, make sure that they a good quality because that is where the signal is coming from.

if you have anymore questions, i will post my email.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Thank you so much!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
So what amp rating should me new alternator be capable of?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Since both my amps require 4 ga wiring, how do you guys suggest I wire the power supply? Should I use 2 guage or 4 gauge, and then have two 4 ga wires coming out of the distribution block to each amp?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Does anyone have a suggestion about the wiring?

danny0291
Unregistered guest
Use 2 gauge wire to go from the battery to the dist. block. From there use two seperate 4 gauge wires for each amp. JL Audio sells an amp kit that has about everything you need for wiring 2 amps with that gauge wire. It's the JL Audio XA-PCS2-2.

Username: Hemanjoyman

Post Number: 1
do you guys know if my car can handle the JL Audio 500/1 and a 300/4....800 Watts RMS all together if I have a 110 Amp alternator...with a 1.2 Farad Cap???

Silver Member
Username: Jayj

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 298
You will be cutting it VERY VERY close. If you do run it like that try to keep the volume down as much as possible. Because your amps are going to pull around 80 amps at full volume. And that doesn't leave you but 30amps for the rest of your car so be very gentle on the volume. Hook it up and see what happens. If your lights are dimming bad then you will need to upgrade that alternator. I would go about 160-200 amps. Good Luck

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 299
You will be cutting it VERY VERY close. If you do run it like that try to keep the volume down as much as possible. Because your amps are going to pull around 80 amps at full volume. And that doesn't leave you but 30amps for the rest of your car so be very gentle on the volume. Hook it up and see what happens. If your lights are dimming bad then you will need to upgrade that alternator. I would go about 160-200 amps. Good Luck

Username: Hemanjoyman

Post Number: 2
Yeah, I figured that JayJ, I just wanted confirmation. Thanks. Do you happen to know what kind of places rewind alternators, so they can put out higher currents? I guess I will have to take it to one of those places and have it rewound.

Silver Member

Louisiana USA

Post Number: 300
You can go to a local alternator/starter repair shop they do that kind of thing. But don't do it YET hook up the system and see what it does. It may be fine and it may not be fine. If you notice a difference in your cars proformance and your lights dim then try to get it rewound. But check it out first. Get you a DMM and check all your currents. If they drop below 13.8volts go ahead and get it rewound are buy a new larger alternator. Good Luck

Unregistered guest
ok i have a svt focus and got my 2 gauge wire today and i need to know the best route to run the wire from the battery into the vehicle..i have the 100amp fuse and plan to split the 2ga into 2-4ga. should i split it off at the 2farad cap? can i somehow use a fuseable dist. block with the cap... is this necc. and will a yellow top optima batt. provide enough power? will large wire from the atlernator to the battery help? please inform thanks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
Sorry it took me so long to respond. I wired my system differently but I don't really recommend it.

This is a link with pictures to show you how I did it:

http://www.focuscanada.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=5681&st=0#entry50543

I ran the 2ga wire from the batter to the fender, then back inside the car, then under the driver's side door sill to the back seats, then split it into two 4 ga wires to each amp underneath both seats. Then my ground is the bolt that's in the middle on the seat hinges. If you have anymore questions e-mail me at malbonese@hotmail.com.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us