120 volt to 12 volt to run amps like your showrooms ??buy??

Bronze Member
Username: Mesodumm

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 56
Hey who know's where to buy a converter to take 120 volt to 12 volt?? I tried getting a hold of my old shop but I was told they went under about a year after I left. So if you know where, please let me know! Thanks

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1309
parts express
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&DID=7&CATID=26&ObjectG roup_ID=427
to power an amp of any real size you'll at least need the 40A option. It would be good up to a 500-600w amp.

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 438
At the car audio shop I go to, they have their display amps hooked up to batteries. I suppose it's just like a car audio setup and they just recharge the batteries using a wall socket charger when they get low.

I'm not sure if any of that info will help you out, but it just seems like a simpler way to power amps then buying a converter.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6218
Batteries give off gases that you wouldn't want in your room.
Look for power supplies for HAM radios on eBay. They'll work great with your amp.

Bronze Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 57
Cool! Thanks everyone that helps a lot. I found the supplies for ham radio are cheaper by about $60 40 amp constant 50 amp surge. Also I did not think about the fumes a battery put out. so good info all around. Thanks

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1310
I believe Optimas and Kinetics do not release the hydrogen fumes like regular lead acid batteries.

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 592
or you could have a vent to outside... and keep em in an airtight back container on the display of amps or whatever ur running.

Gold Member

Post Number: 6219
"I believe Optimas and Kinetics do not release the hydrogen fumes like regular lead acid batteries."
It may not be toxic, but during charging, they do give off strong odor. If you don't believe me, try one in a room.

Bronze Member

Tri-City, Az Usa

Post Number: 65
It sounds like the best and most cost effective and safest! would be to get the converter from Ebay for $139, the price of optimas and Kinetics and then charger to keep them charged, then if there is any fumes or special venting or airtight enclosure would get expensive. Here is one I found on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/50-AMP-POWER-SUPPLY-for-HAM-CB-Radio_W0QQitemZ260117353301QQ ihZ016QQcategoryZ48708QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Gold Member

Post Number: 6222
That's not a bad price. If you find something with a higher current, then upgrade. It'll be worth it in the end.
I paid a lot more for mine.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us