What would...

Silver Member
Username: Skies

Courtenay, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 640
When you wire a sub to 1 ohm on a 2 ohm stable amp, what would you look for as a first sign that it's not gonna be pretty? Protection, heat on amp, heat on coil?

Silver Member
Username: Mmaudioconcepts

Murray, KY

Post Number: 131
heat on the amp...

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 979
maybe some nice pretty smoke

Silver Member
Username: 2pacalypse1971

Sandusky, Oh

Post Number: 354
wayyyyyyyyyy back in the day when i was an idiot i had 2 rockford dual 2 ohm subs and an audiobahn a8002t, and i not knowing anything had the subs wired to 1 ohms (thought it was 2 ohm), and the amp pounded for like 8 minutes on end and then would overly heat, this lasted for about 2 months before i learned about ohms and stuff, but yeah you will notice big time heat and once it shuts off, you know your doing something wrong, btw, the amp actually lasted them 2 months and then i sold it because i realized i was an idiot and got the wrong type of amp

Silver Member
Username: Freezeman_7

Lindsay, Oklahoma U.S.A

Post Number: 982
nice dude, gotta learn the hardway sometimes... lol

Gold Member
Username: Oleg

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1224
It actually depends on the amp. Most of them go straight into protection. Some other amps can actually perform at a lower impedance and can deliver more current at that. Depending on your sub's thermal rating and how much power the amp's generating at 1ohm, the coils can overheat. If the amp does run at 1ohm, it'll probably get very hot very fast b/c it wasn't designed specifically for that application. If it's a cheap amp with terrible protection circuitry, it'll fry quickly.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2110
The quality of the amp doesn't much matter. If it wasn't designed for 1 ohm, you will most likely let the magic smoke out.

Bottom line: Don't do it

Silver Member

Post Number: 650
To let you all know, I did it.

I used my Infinity 7451a bridged, and wired my SSX at 1 ohm, worked great just hit protection a little faster(quite sure its stable at 4 ohm bridged...). I wasn't too light on it, tried a few different songs and turned it up quite quickly, didn't warm up too quickly either.

Anyways, yeah. That's my story :-)

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1243
I did the exact same thing. The amp I has was PA OV2-1600 or something like that - 4ohm stable when bridged. Wired 2 4ohm DVC subs to 1ohm without knowing anything about amp's ability to perform at 1ohm. Ran it like that for 2 years, clipping subs to death and blowing 1. Then sold it to my friend who's using it to date to power 2 RFs.

Silver Member

Post Number: 656
Wow, 2 years at 1 ohm?

That's impressive :P

I honestly wouldn't expect that out of a PA amp. Still going too... They're built for abuse I guess.

Gold Member

Santa Monica, CA USA

Post Number: 1244
If you hold the amp, it feels solid and pretty heavy. Every time I touch it, it would be burning hot, I couldn't hold my hand on it - I guess I know why now lol I also had 2 of these:

http://www.justamps.com/Amp_Pages/PowerAcoustik/discontinued/pa_faren.htm

1PA-Q2420 got stolen with my sub and 1PA-Q4640 I recently replaced with a JBL. The amp's still functional! I'll sell it for $40 shipped...it's 4x75W
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us