Dual alts

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 483
is there any way I can just get a dual alt bracket, leave the stock alt where it is for the car and add a 300 amp alt for the car audio stuff? I was thinking just have the 300 amp one connected to a battery in the trunk for car audio and leaving the other alone for a bit. ???

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12491
i don't see why not. what kinda car do you have? also is there space to add another alt? if not you can always take out your ac.

Silver Member
Username: Waterboy2289

Georgia, DiRtY SoUtH ... 2 18 SX w/ ...

Post Number: 325
Nate,what kind of power are you planning on running? You would really need to be pulling a lot of power to require a dual alt.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 6187
Why in the world would you need 300A alternator? That is a lot of power for a car. I hope it's not just for audio cause at that power level, you'll go deaf.
I'd get 300A for lot of things, like power inverter, 500w spot lights, power winch for 10,000lbs, portable welding system, motorized satellite etc.

Silver Member

Post Number: 492
uh, a memphis 4wk?

Silver Member

Post Number: 332
hahaha.....You don't need a 300amp alt for that amp. Just get the biggest alt that will fit in your stock location(usually 180-220 amps) and add one or two decent batteries to the back by the amp.

Usually more power is better, but a 300amp alt probably won't fit in your stock location and a dual alt bracket will cost you a lot(not mention you probably won't have room for a 2nd alt). You can run a crap load of power off a 200amp alt so you will be fine.

Silver Member

Post Number: 513
ya, but I would rather run around 14 volts bumpin at 1/2 volume idle and running at 1500 rpms, so I would need all that power.

Silver Member

Post Number: 350
"I would rather run around 14 volts bumpin at 1/2 volume idle and running at 1500 rpms, so I would need all that power"

I can't really figure out what you are trying to say. Can you reword it please?

If you are talking about maintainin 14v at idle, most big alternators(~300amp) wont put out decent power untill a higher rpm. Polo has an overdrive pulley or something like that, that allows him to get power from his 300amp at low rpms. You could try that.

Besides the fact that you may not be able to fit a 300amp alt, a 200amp will be fine for the power you want to run.

Bronze Member
Username: Mesodumm

Dewey, Az Usa

Post Number: 32
I was told the other day by a auto electric guy that if you do dual alts it better to replace bothe alts with 160 amp because they stay cooler and have higher amp at low rpm's he said he could make a deal on them to, he had to make a call for i think an isolator but would have price in a day or so.

Silver Member
Username: Scott_debaker

Pittsburgh, P.A. U.S.A.

Post Number: 777
i was thinkin of dual 200amp alt. for my car 2 power 2 memphis 4kw an i would have the big 3 one runs of power an ground battery 2 battery an 2 batterys

Silver Member

Post Number: 523
sorry dude, too high for rephrase

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2152
" most big alternators(~300amp) wont put out decent power untill a higher rpm "

Iraggi makes 300 amp alternators that do 135 amps at idle.

Silver Member

Post Number: 356
That's less than half of the alternators total output so I don't believe that qualifies as decent power.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

Post Number:...

Post Number: 2422
"hahaha.....You don't need a 300amp alt for that amp. Just get the biggest alt that will fit in your stock location(usually 180-220 amps) and add one or two decent batteries to the back by the amp.

Usually more power is better, but a 300amp alt probably won't fit in your stock location and a dual alt bracket will cost you a lot(not mention you probably won't have room for a 2nd alt). You can run a crap load of power off a 200amp alt so you will be fine."

How much power do you think a memphis 4kw pulls?Then you have to add headlights,tail lights,brake lights turn signals,oh it's raining out...wipers...it all adds up and then think if he wants his ac on too while he's bumpin or it's cold in the winter and he wants heat.It'd be nice to get a 300 amp alt to feed that amp and whatever else he has going on in the car.For you people saying it doesn't put out a lot at idle well,you can raise the idle on your engine and that'll give you higher overall RPM and you'll get more juice out of your alt,enough said.

Silver Member

Post Number: 358
Unless this guy is riding down the road playing test tones as loud as possible, he's not going to be pulling anywhere near 400amps constantly. Look at Chad, 2 4kw's on a 200 or something like that alt with two extra batteries. Doesn't that make it clear enough for you? 8000w on an alternator that size!?!? And not everyone can just turn up there idle(including myself). Not to mention, if you can, who says it won't damage the engine?

If he's got the money and the space, do a 300amp alt. If he's got the money and space, do 2 200amp alts. But my point is all he will need for that amp is a 200amp alt and an extra battery or two.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2427
Well,when you're right Matt,you're right.Get yourself a 200 amp alt and you'll be fine.I'm not sure how raising the idle damages an engine but if you can explain,I'd like to know.When you step on the gas it's almost the same thing...it hasn't damaged my engine yet,only my wallet,I use a bit more gas than before and my braking isn't as good because it has to fight then engine's power.Chad has a 260 amp alternator by the way,I think...

Gold Member

Post Number: 2429
Nate,send me a PM about this so we can talk or add me to AIM Getripped84 is my S/N.

Silver Member

Post Number: 363
"I'm not sure how raising the idle damages an engine but if you can explain,I'd like to know."

I'm not sure how it would damage the engine, but I was just putting that out there that it could be a possibilty.

Btw, were you being sarcastic at the beginning of your post?

Silver Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 155
well with the idle up it will burn more gas

Silver Member

Post Number: 373
That and it COULD cause other problems. Ex: If you have a computer controlled car and you start adjusting mechanical settings, it could lead to all sorts of problems.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2456
"well with the idle up it will burn more gas"

I had already mentioned that.People also change their idle all the time.Most cars are computer controlled but that's not a real problem,you can change things in your ECU.

Silver Member

Post Number: 375
The point it is: changing the idle is an option for some people, in some circumstances.

For instance, my cars idle cannot be directly changed by either the dealership or my mechanic.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2474
"The point it is: changing the idle is an option for some people, in some circumstances.

For instance, my cars idle cannot be directly changed by either the dealership or my mechanic."

Get yourself a real mechanic or learn how to brake torque,now that will cause some damage.

Silver Member

Post Number: 384
Wtf are you talking about? It is obvious that you no longer have anything productive to add to this thread, so please stop posting.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2490
"Wtf are you talking about? It is obvious that you no longer have anything productive to add to this thread, so please stop posting."

I'm sorry but if you think you can't raise the idle on a car then you need to get enrolled in Intro to Auto.You CAN raise the idle on anything one way or another.If you're going to be ignorant then please stop posting.

"But my point is all he will need for that amp is a 200amp alt and an extra battery or two."

Nate don't listen to that,get yourself more amperage because you're going to need it.Especially if you plan on burping tones with the engine on.Also,you may plan on running more accessories or more power so if you run a 300 amp alt it would be much wiser than running a 200 and having to change again.

Silver Member

Post Number: 392
I went to the Toyota dealership where my 4runner is from and asked them specificly if they could do something to raise the idle and they told me, there was no specific adjustment you can make. It may be hard for you to understand, but some newer and nicer cars like mine just can't be screwed around with by an idiot like you.

Listen Rob, not everyone drives a piece of crap van like you. I'm sure there is a big red knob with a flashing light and a label that reads "Idle Adjuster" on it in your SAFARI.....lol

You need to brush up on your reading skills also. In my statement "all he will need for that amp is a 200amp alt and an extra battery or two," I listed what he would need if he wanted to run that amp in his vehicle. I did not, however, list the biggest electrical system he could possibly get, just what I would consisder the minimum for that amp.

I have already said a few times, he should get the most power he can fit and afford. But he doesn't NEED a 300amp alt to run that amp, simple as that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 393
Btw Rob, were you one of those meth-head kids that was in the autoshop classes in high school? Got that tech prep degree didn't you? How is the $13,500 you're making a year working out for you?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2492
"Btw Rob, were you one of those meth-head kids that was in the autoshop classes in high school? Got that tech prep degree didn't you? How is the $13,500 you're making a year working out for you?"

I dropped out of high school pretty much freshman year and I didn't take auto there.I took at it College and I'm about half way through for ASE certification but being an ASE certified mechanic is something that I'm no longer pursuing,I started law classes.The $13,500 dollars I make a year is good enough for me to afford an amp that's better than that MA Audio you're running and I don't live with my mom and dad either.Although I wish I did,free rent,free food,free utilities.

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Damn....I was just kidding, but it looks like I wasn't that far from the truth.

I'm sure your amp is better than mine, but for what I paid, I'm more than happy with my hk4000d. Besides....it's not the brand of amp that counts, it's how well it pushes your woofers(both in sound quality and loudness).

I forgot to add your quote to one of my above posts: "Well,when you're right Matt,you're right.Get yourself a 200 amp alt and you'll be fine."

....That's what I've been saying.

Then you come back and say this: "Nate don't listen to that,get yourself more amperage because you're going to need it."

See the contradiction? You are more concerned with arguing with me than helping the guy out.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2502
You're not the sharpest tool in the shed are you:-)?I was being sarcastic.I run a MMATS amp by the way.This isn't an argument it's a debate.I've been very well mannered throughout this whole thread,only you resorted to trash talk and swearing.

Silver Member

Post Number: 398
I noted the sarcasm in my next post after that. When you didn't respond to what I had written, I figured you had given in to my correct point of view.

I know you run MMATS, and once again as I noted, I said your amp was better than mine. I wasn't being sarcastic unlike you.

You began the senseless posting by telling me to get a real mechanic. I'm sure the mechanics at the toyota dealership where I bought my car and the mechanics at the autoshop I usually go to know a little bit more than you do. You proceeded to tell me I was ignorant because I listen to trained professionals who actually know what they are doing. Yea.....really well mannered.

Everything I said to you was warranted.

Silver Member

Post Number: 406
"If he's got the money and the space, do a 300amp alt. If he's got the money and space, do 2 200amp alts. But my point is all he will need for that amp is a 200amp alt and an extra battery or two."

I don't see how you can disagree with that statement. I told him to get the biggest alt he could fit and afford, and also what the minimum electrical system needed to run that amp would be. Tell me where you gave him any advice that was better than that. If you cannot, the thread is over.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2516
"Tell me where you gave him any advice that was better than that. If you cannot, the thread is over."

If you can't understand or comprehend where I gave him better advice then read this thread until you do. /End Thread.

Silver Member

Post Number: 410
To late Rob. I ended the thread in my last post.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2528
You need to end your posting

Platinum Member
Username: Bestmankind

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 12744
only azn's have the power to end threads.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2538
How about you use your azn power to do some math.You have a 200 amp alt right?Ok so..200 amp minus the vehicles normal current draw consisting of spark for the engine,ECU,fans(If electric),AC/Heat,brake lights,head lights,turn signals,wipers,gauge cluster and interior lights,I'm sure I missed a few but just add up the amperage draw for those...alright now let's throw the audio system in consisting of a HU,amplifier for speakers and then toss the big bad Memphis 4KW into all of that.Hmmm....I might want to add monitors/screens in the future too,think I'd be alright on a 200 amp alt?I wouldn't think about running all that on a 200 amp alt for a second,this is my last post for me on this thread,it's really over now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 413
"this is my last post for me on this thread,it's really over now."

Good, now I can jump back in.....

Chad, explain to Rob why Nate can run a 4kw with a 200amp alt and an extra batt or two. Rob doesn't seem to get it.

Btw, this is what I had said earlier in the thread: "If he's got the money and the space, do a 300amp alt. If he's got the money and space, do 2 200amp alts. But my point is all he will need for that amp is a 200amp alt and an extra battery or two."

Silver Member

Post Number: 548
didnt mean to start a fight, but thanks to Rob and Matt for all the input. Greatly appreciated.

If anyone cares what my final decision is, I think im going to spend the extra cash and get a 300 amp alt from excessive amperage (not sure if that spellings right) and have two batteries in parallel, no isolator or relay. I realize both batteries could get drained in this way. So I will watch my voltage carefully. I will not play it with the car off, it will be running, so the battery in back is mainly to get the power to the amp quicker and to store some extra power for bursts (someone back me up on that theory???) that my alternator cant handle (ex bass hits...). This sound legit??? Is it okay to have a redtop up front and a deep cycle/car audio (kinetic/odessey/stinger) in back?

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 2320
Both batteries need to be the same. That setup is just fine when the engine is running (alternator is charging), the problem occurs when you turn it off. Each battery will see the other as if it were a very low value resistor, and current will constantly flow between them. If you let it sit for a while, you would eventually have two drained batteries. (takes quite a while but it will happen)

Silver Member

Post Number: 415
Nate, can that 300amp alt be bolted on in your stock location, or do you need to make a bracket for it? Do you have the space for a bigger than stock alt under your hood?

And MS is right. All your batts need to be the same. If they're not, you need to put something in between them so they won't drain when the car is off.

Silver Member

Post Number: 554
well, I WAS tryting to get a new car, a nice black on black caddy.

But I already have a 300 amp (at 2krpms) from EA. And it did indeed fit in my stock location, 3.4L 3800 engine in my buick.
And I probably will stick with my current car

Silver Member

Post Number: 417
Sounds good.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us