Capacitors

Silver Member
Username: Turnmat

Post Number: 111
what is the correct way to wire a cap and a amp?
do you take and run the positive wire to a distribution block and from their one to the cap and another to the amp? or do you run the positive wire to the cap and than to the amp?

I know that you dont ground the cap to the amp and than to the car you ground it directly to the car or a distribution block just not sure about the +

Silver Member
Username: Killswitchjd

Post Number: 387
cap and then amp. It is a power supply in back.

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
ok thank you. the way the shop that installed it was that the power cable went to a distribution block and than it got split one cable to the cap and one to the amp...the cap was about twelve feet from the amp (wiring runs totaled about twelve feet) betwen the cap the distribution block and the amp

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
can i hook two caps to one amp?...i have two 3 farad caps so can i hook both of them up to my amp?

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3839
j/w but what amp do you have that would "need" two 3 farad caps.? and is your charging system upgraded?

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
i have not done the charging system upgrade(dont have the money) and i have a hifonics xx zeus...i was just wondering if i could do the two caps until i have the money to upgrade the charging system

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3846
i would highly recommend you not doing that. sounds like your using the caps. to possibly "fix" your problem?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
its going to be about a monthy until i have the money to upgrade my alt and the big three...so i was wondering if that would work until then? or should i just run the amp with no caps but not turn it up all the way? open to suggestions on what i shuld do until i have the money to upgrade alt and big three

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11829
the alternator is your only source of current when the car is running.
capacitors don't help since their voltage rails will mirror that of the charging system.. if voltage drops, it drops across the capacitor as well, which is part of why it's a myth that capacitors can help if your charging system is weak.

simple answer: keep the volume at low to moderate till you have the power to feed the amplifiers.. otherwise they will clip and you will damage your speakers.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
the biggest i can get for my vehicle is a 200 amp alt...do you think that is big enough for the amp listed above?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us