What do i do to get more volts

Bronze Member
Username: Bumpndatrunk

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 65
a guys i have a good deal on a amp running about 4000w rms but it is at 17 volts now i know there are many amps that will give me more power at lower volts but this is a killer deal and i hate to loose out just because of a low volts

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11713
companies rate amplifiers at higher voltages (up to 20V) to give more impressive numbers on their specs when using unregulated or loosely regulated power supplies that allow for higher output with higher input voltage.
Fact is that your car's electrical system voltage is controlled by the alternator and voltage regulator, and you're pretty much stuck with 12-14.4VDC. Going any higher than that can cause damage to the electronics in your car that aren't designed to run at much above 12VDC.

Sorry, but in short, you got drawn in by marketing.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 66
o so i see put it in a truck and get the volts but normal cars and no big numbers and it is a gift for you to be on my thread it sucks that i could not be on at the same time with you as you can see im new here

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11721
Yeah, when companies test output at 17 or 20 volts, they do it with a regulated power supply on a bench, with a non-inductive load to get peak numbers. The real life output is on a reactive load with a 13.8VDC voltage rail most times, so that's waht ya get for a real world result.
Honeestly don't sweat it though. You're not losing enough power between 12 or 14V and 17V to make an audible difference anyway.
Keep in mind, you're talking at most a 20% difference in output, and to make a 3dB increase in audible volume, you need TWICE the power output, and to double the perceived audible volume, you'd need literally six to ten times the power output, so you see 20% difference is barely audible. It'd sound like the difference of nudging the volume knob up the least amount you could, and being able to hear any change.

Long story short, you're not missing out on what you may think. Unless you need every last watt for pro level competition, I wouldn't sweat it. For daily driving use, and even impressing your friends, you'll still have more tahn enough power.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI USA

Post Number: 68
thanx glasswolf also what do you think of the new rockford fosgate t1000bd is it high qualty about how much power do think it puts out

Platinum Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11724
RF is a good company. If you want to find the exact output, look for a CEA rating on amplifiers.
It's a standardized means of measuring accurate power output from amplifiers between companies.
Similar to DUMAX specs for speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 1143
Those RF power series amps come with birthsheets which will tell you the exact output, and they are all underrated.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us