Setting the gain

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 18
i need to find out the voltage for the output of my 2 channal amp. i have 2 subs, each with a 2 ohm load going to each channel. the amp is rated for 300wrms per channel at 2 ohms. then would it be 24.5 volts for both of them or would it be 49 volts since there 2 channals?

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11672
the AC voltage is going to vary, but you can measure it using a true RMS DMM

Gold Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 1469
That sounds right. The formula is V^2/R. But remember when you bridge the amp channels then it will double the resistnce stability. Instead of being 2ohm stable it will now be 4ohm.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Post Number: 21
when i measure the voltage, what im saying is do i put the leads in one set(2 channal amp so 4 terminals, but just the left or just the right set) of the four terminals and then double the voltage since theres two channals. or when i turn the gain up does it add the same voltage to each of the channels

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 11678
what exactly are you trying to do?
a two channel amp is basically two mono amps in one case, so yes each channel is discrete and each channel should see the same voltage, say 100 volts AC on each channel for a stereo output signal if it's a two channel amp.
If the amp is two channels and bridged, that changes things considerably.
www.bcae1.com has a good page on amplifier bridging that explains output voltages for both stereo and bridged modes.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us