Charging system upgrade?

Username: Bran1123

Post Number: 8
I have a 1500watt mtx TA81001 amp powering a 12" MTX 9500 and a Kicker 650.4 amplifier installed in a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT with a stock alternator and a Interstate Battery. I have a 0gauge wire from the battery to a distribution block, then a 4 gauge to each amp. At night when i turn my volume up half way with the gains not even halfway it lookss as if im flashing my high beams constantly. What would be the best thing i can do to get the power i need. and would it improve the sound of my system?

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2180
You can do the big 3. Its cheap and affordable. If that doesn't help. Then you either have two choices. New battery or alternator. I would prefer investing in an alternator bc the battery won't help as much as the alternator. Battery will help more, once you get the alternator.

Username: Bran1123

Post Number: 9
Whats the big 3? And were can i find a HO alternator for a 02 grand am GT?

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 340
imo the big 3 isnt to cheap for the alt i found 300 amps it was liek 300 bucks and the wrieing and stuff about 100 but if you want loud stuff you gotta pay for the charging system

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2188
Big 3:
Alt + to battery +
Battery - to car chassis
Engine block to car chassis

Pretty much, the big 3 is upgrading the wires. Most people use 0 gauge wiring for this.

Silver Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Southeast PA

Post Number: 841
You need an HO alternator. Extra batteries won't do jack about voltage dropping due to an inadaquate alternator. (Voltage drop is what makes your lights dim)

These comapnies make good HO alternators:
http://www.ohiogen.com/
http://stores.ebay.com/Iraggi-Alternator-and-Electronics
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us