Sp sensor and Alternator fuse keeps Blowing(98 Civic)

Username: Keithk

Post Number: 2
Can someone please tell me what to do, I think its the alternator but I'm not sure. I tested the voltage at idle and got 11.0 but it was jumping to 13.9 then down to 10.0. When it jumped the lights would dim, and my speed sensor and alternor fuse keep blowing (7.5 amps). Could it be the alternator, or is it the ground, or is it the voltage regulator......I'm helpless please answer someone...Thanks. I have a 98 Civic 3 door.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3572
the alt. fuse shouldnt be 7.5 amps really it doesnt need to be fused at all but if you do fuse it it should be like an 80amp fuse.

fix your fuse problem and if you still have problems take your alt out and get it rebuilt or get a high output one

Username: Keithk

Post Number: 3
the 7.5 amp fuse is the speed sensor fuse (under the steering wheel fuse box) but its also written alternator on the fuse panel. Thats the fuse that keeps blowing not the 80 amp one under the hood.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3591
hmm im not sure about that then, sounds like it is shorting somewhere, id find a forum specifically for your type car and ask them then.

Username: Jimhowarth

Hemel Hewpstead, England UK

Post Number: 1
I've just had a problem like this. When driving along, the engine management light on the dashboard of our Honda Civic 1.4 gti 1996 came on and the speedo slowly went to zero; when stopped, the starter motor turned but the engine would not fire. The garage thought it was the distributor and prepared for a wait of several months to get one for a car this old. Then they realized that this Alternator and SP sensor fuse had gone and replaced it with a 10 amp (they could not work out why). This blew again, same problem (this time the key light flashed briefly on the dashboard). I have just called out the RAC (British car rescue) and the engineer has fixed it in half an hour by covering a black with yellow stripe wire with insulating tape. This is located on one of two adjacent plugs deep inside the bonnet behind the air inlet. The plugs are close to something to do with the speedometer. I have not driven any distance yet to prove absolutely that this is the solution, but the engineer demonstrated the problem with the car stationary by repeatedly blowing the same fuse by wiggling the wire.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 530
It's a Honda, Thats the problem. LL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us