Need advice on battery wiring

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 228
I'm in a bit of a pinch, my battery is pretty much done, (I knew it'd happen sooner or later), and I'd planned on replacing it with a deep cycle when it happened. Only problem is I need the car this weekend, and it's a 2000 civic so there's room for not much bigger than a garden tractor battery. If I can find a yellow top to fit in time, then fine. But if not, I might need to put a bigger battery in the trunk which is probably better anyways. I work all week so don't have a lot of time. I've already got 0guage going back to my amps, so my question is, being that I'm in a hurry, can I temporarily just put the battery in the trunk, run the 0guage off the positive back and connect to all the positive leads under the hood, ground all the negative leads under the hood, and ground the negative terminal on the battery in the trunk???? Thanks guys.

Gold Member
Username: Bernymac

Cambodian

Post Number: 2034
if your front battery is dead and won't start up your car. IMO, bad idea. Why? because while the car is off, your back battery will recharge your front battery. Next thing you know, you'll probaly end up with of course a "dead" battery and one 1/2 drained battery. Unless I'm confused as to what your asking.

Username: Gurpreet

Post Number: 7
I think he is saying that his front battery is dead and only has a larger battery which he wants to place in the boot to start the car... by using the amp wires to the positive terminals on the front in the engine bay...

Well mate... I'd strongly advise against this if your battery is not secured in place! A yellow top you could place in pretty much any position... but a standard battery in the boot unless secured is not a good idea. Further more... I would recommend you use a seperate ground lead going to the front negative terminals... and I'd run them on either side of the car so they are not together... finally... I think 4-8awg would be best.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Can you not get hold of a battery charger?
Or use some jump leads?

Silver Member
Username: Hootz

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada

Post Number: 229
Thanks for the response. Yeah I've been jumping the battery for a few months. I have a work vehicle so mine sits for a week at a time, but it got to the point that it wouldn't hold a charge for a week. Now, even after running the car (alt is putting out correct power) for over 2 hours, it will barely hold enough of a charge to start the car. I'd replace it in the stock location, but that means another tiny oem battery, and with 1400wrms I want a bigger battery, so trunk seems like the best option. you think it's really necessary to run a ground all the way up front?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us