Input not high enough?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

California USA

Post Number: 1654
I have a arc audio 400.2 amp. The gain only ranges from .25v to 2.5v. I want to buy a Pioneer Premier 860 which has 6.5 preouts. Does this mean I cant use this amp with my headunit? ..Or do I have to use the "high level input terminal?"

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3123
im not to sure because your input is alot lower then mine.

i just got the 860 and its nice. but anyway, it doesnt put out 6.5v constantly it just depends on the music and the volume, as you probly know. so you just have to keep the volume lower that way you dont burn up the amps input. my amps are both 4v

but because your sub amp may be able to take a higher voltage your sub would be alot louder then the comps. you could try to turn the sub volume down on the HU, but if you could find something so the amp will take a higher voltage that would probly be better. (hope all this makes some sence)

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1656
If your amps are 4v, do you max out your gain?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3131
yeah the gain on my amps is turned all the way down but it only goes down to 4v. keep in mind on an amp to the left (turned down is the larger number)

so i cant think of what the volume on the 860 goes up to well just say 50 so instead of turning the volume all the way up to be loud i just need to turn it up to say 35 because when the HU puts out 4V thats when my amps max out. you just have to listen by ear.

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1657
Could I use the high level input terminal?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3135
yeah i dont see why that wouldnt work. but i think you might loose some SQ in doing that.

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1658
Same here.. just by the looks of it. I don't know how to hook it up though, it looks like it needs some weird adapter.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3138
yeah it probly does. one of my old amps used to have a high leval input and you needed this thing that plugs into it and then it has wires coming out of it for you to attatch the speaker wires.

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1660
Egh, that sounds janky, but where do you find those adapters. Do you know?

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3182
no i dont know where you could buy one.

anyway iv been useing the HU for a few days now and have it figured out.

you will be able to use your amp you will just need to turn down the level for that amp which you can do with the HU its easy. and just do it buy ear.

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1675
Are you saying there is an input level adjuster on the H/U or something and I can use my low level input (RCAs)?

p.s. Thanks for your help Mat.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1195
"Are you saying there is an input level adjuster on the H/U or something and I can use my low level input (RCAs)?"

Uh, yeah, that's called the volume.

Don't sweat it. Set the amp to 2.5 and it will be fine. You just won't need to max the volume out on the HU to get full power from the amp.

If it starts to sound strange, turn it down, that's all there is to it.

Silver Member
Username: Sinful_systems70

Post Number: 369
I concur Mat Dope & Optidriven.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 2456
Your all faggs, lol... Looksy here>http://www.arcaudio.com/arc-05/pdf/kar_amp.pdf

It says it has a 2.5v RMS input and says it will handle the 8v pre out head units, go figure... Polo. :-O

Gold Member

California USA

Post Number: 1682
HAHAHAHA Optidriven! You make me feel stupid.

Gold Member

West palm, Florida

Post Number: 3198
yeah like for front rear and sub outputs you can adjust the level of each one. so if your sub amp takes say 6v and your comp amp only 2.5 then you can just set the front level down a few DBs so it matches up.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us