Re-Installation Help (Amp related?)

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 295
I reinstalled my equipment back into my car and thought I had followed everything correctly but when I turned the car on I got nothing coming from my trunk. Here is what I have and the steps I took when installing.

Amp: Kicker KX1200.1
Subs: Alpine Type-R 1242D x2

INSTALLATION==========

1) Found previous screw holes in the trunk and mounted the amp back down. Ran power cable from trunk back up to battery. Attached fuse into the cable and placed end onto battery + terminal.

2) Inserted remote wire into amp, followed by ground, then power. When I got around to sticking the power cable back in I noticed a little spark go off as I was inserted the power cable into it's slot on the amp (read in the manual that I did this backwards, should have attached ground in last. Hope this didn't effect anything)

3) Inserted RCA cables into amp.

4) Moved subs into the trunk and inserted speakers wires into appropriate posts on the wooferbox. Took those wires and tied +'s from subs together and inserted them into + slot of amp. Did the same with -'s.

By this time I figured I was good to go. I turned the car on and I looked back in the trunk and the Kicker logo that usually turns red when the amp is on didn't light up. The weird thing is that the subs are moving but just very slightly and they aren't very loud. I'm thinking I either put the RCA cables in the wrong spot (I may have put them in output instead of input), have wired the speakers out of phase, or that I'm not getting a good power flow from the battery into the amp... I'm going to have to recheck them, or perhaps its a remote signal problem... I'm not sure I pushed all the cables in as far as I could into the amp.

The manual said that there are two LEDs, one green and one red, that will light up in different ways depending on if there is a problem. I haven't looked at them yet so I will when I get a chance. I just thought it was odd that the subs move a little but but the amp doesn't seem to be on???

Any thoughts?

Silver Member
Username: _jay_

Post Number: 199
if your subs r moving then a bad ground\power or bad rca connection....
-Jay

Gold Member
Username: Logan__tille

[:-]15 Wangers Club[:-] Premier Member

Post Number: 4893
take the cover off and see if the mosfets are cooked

Silver Member
Username: Warlok

Orlando, FL USA

Post Number: 137
Should'nt really matter that the pwr wire was hooked last, although, anytime your hooking equiopment up, it would be a good idea NOT to have ANY PWR running. You should always have your fuse pulled, if not disengage the whole Pwr wire. Perhaps your subs are hooked up funny inside the box, what kind of subs are they, and how are the hooked up internally ?

Silver Member
Username: Djbeanpole

Naptown, Indiana USA

Post Number: 296
Alright sorry to take forever to respond but here is what I found out:

I had the RCA cables going into the output of the amp. I fixed this problem and moved then to the correct "input" slots of the amp and for awhile things worked but the subs still sounded funny. They move, and are clearly pushing air out of my box because I can see them moving and feel the air, but its just not as loud as usual and sounds droned out. I think they are out of phase but I thought I wired them up correctly.

Everything should be wired perfectly. Notice the topic said re-installation... this is because I had these subs installed professionally and they sounded AWESOME. I thought I was going to sell the car so I pulled everything out and now that I'm not selling it I put it back in. Didn't change anything... never took subs out of box or fooled around with their internal wiring. Power, remote, ground all hooked and working. The amp's power light lights up. All is good. RCAs are in input, I'm thinking all is good. Maybe I wired them out of phase?

I have 2 subs in the box. They each have their respective + and -. I take the two +'s ends and attach them into the + of the amp, and I do the same with the -'s (I wrap them around each other and insert them). Maybe I did this wrong?

Nothing is blown or busted because the amp comes on and the subs are working... I don't think its in protection but I could check. Any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Jeromebaker

Post Number: 58
So basically everything works, you just don't think it sounds as good as it did before?
I'm a bit rusty but I think that amp is stable to 1 ohm. So the subs should be wired fine. Try tuning your amp and HU a bit, db's and gain.
BTW your amp would shut down entirely if it was in protect mode, with maybe a little red light, so that's not it.

...Kind of a weird question for a guy with 300 posts on this forum...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us