I have a 160A alternator

Bronze Member
Username: Razzeldazzel06

Post Number: 60
i just got the all new dodge nitro..it comes with a 160a alternator and a 600cca maintenance free battery....i am installing two 10 inch 1000rms id max subs from image dynamics(which im probably going to have them running at 650 700rms with a bass control knob but i aint sure i want to be safe with the amp though in case i do get 1000 rms from each sub)....im going to power them with 1 mono memphis 1000d amp which is 1100 rms(should i get two amps or is that amp powerful enough too run those subs?)...i am also adding in zenon lights to the front and im putting in a in dash navigation headunit from pioneer..and im putting in a 12 cd changer...im also putting in the rearview camera...}those are all the upgrades im doing to the interior and outside electrically..am i going to need a capacitor or a better battery or a more powerful alternator or will i need another amp???please im getting the stuff installed soon so i need answers??????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
can someone help please??

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1525
If it was me... I would get 2 of those memphis amps, one for each sub. Then I would get a larger alternator and put a kinetik under the hood, and one in the back. But i dont know if you can get your hands on a larger alternator because that is a brand new car and they might not be making them yet.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 67
160a isnt good enough for all that???..i posted in the subwoofer chat they said it was fine..whats a kinetik???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 68
a 160a isnt good enough for all that??..i posted in the subwoofer thread and they all said it was fine...what is a kinetik??

Bronze Member

Post Number: 70
???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 73
does anyone else have anything to contribute on my dilema??

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2935
i agree with the second amp suggestion. me, i'd get another memphis amp to put one on each sub. get a ho alt., about 220a or higher, replace the starting battery with a kinetik 1400 and get a couple larger kinetiks for the back. and of course you'll definately want to upgrade the speakers as well.

but if sticking with the one amp you should be fine. but if you start to notice dimming thats a sign you need to up the charging system. also, are you upgrading the speakers (i'd hope you would) and what size amp are going for those, if doing so?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
im not going to upgrade speakers i already have internals..what kinetiks should i get??..why?? and does kinetiks also sell batteries how much am i loking at for what yur thinkig of?

Gold Member
Username: Matt12490

The biggity biggity BAY, California USA

Post Number: 1528
I only suggested a larger alt because i suggested 2 amps. Thats 2200rms so you would need an HO alt. If you stuck with just one amp i dont think an upgrade would be needed.

Bronze Member
Username: Notoriousroc1

Post Number: 20
try ebay for kinetiks

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
what do i need from kinetiks...do i need a power cell and a power supply i dont know what i need out of their

Bronze Member
Username: Skibum12189

Post Number: 86
find out what size kinetik battery fits under the hood of your car...I would think you'd be fine just getting a HC1800 or a HC2400 to replace the starting battery because I don't think you want extra batteries in the trunk...itd probably be best to get everything installed and then see if you need more stuff...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 76
so i dont need a better regulator i just need a better battery..my battery is 600cca..if i get one of these better kinetik batteries i have to charge them right..im not into doin all that stuff..i aint looking going into the shop every few days or w.e or like taking the batter out myself..i aint looking to do that

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
someone help with the info i need please??

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1144
My vote is leave it stock.
160A is a BIG alt.
2200w rms is a lot of power, but that's not what the alternator has to supply. 2200w is what the amps are capable of playing low frequency test tones. Music will never get close to that.
Furthurmore - you don't NEED 1000w a piece to get your ID's performing very well.

If you've got a fast car you don't have to hold it to the floor all day long to enjoy it do ya??
Of course not, but it's nice to stand on it for a few seconds every once in a while.

Following that logic I think 1000-1500w would be a reasonable goal to shoot for.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5838
You don't need a new battery unless your current one is dying. If you want safety, then add 2nd battery and an isolator so that the starter battery never gets drained by the amps.
160A is a big alternator. In most cars it's around 60A - 75A.
If you plan on basting your system, then turn off the heater/air conditioner or anything else that eat up lot of current.
Of course if you have the money, then getting 200A+ wouldn't be a bad idea. It'll allow you to install more devices like super bright spot lights, inverters, transceivers etc.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 78
what is a isolator??..i dont know anything bout batteries and all that im trying to learn..so basically if im running only one 1200rms amp to two subs and i get a head unit and zenon lights and stuff like that..all i need is what??? ia int getting exact answers lol..my batter is in perfect condition and so is my alternator..what is the safest option for me to do like exact products and everything if i put 1 1200 rms amp with two 800rms subs and zenon lights rearview camera and tv headrests..i dont want my lights to dim or a shortage or something..so what is the safest exact thing for me to do..money is not a question ill pay for what i need it dont matter bout that...so help please

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
if i add a safe battery where do i put it and how big should it be like what model and stuff and like power wise???

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
anyone have any answers to my last few comments???

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 5843
For your questions, go to bcae1.com and read up on battery/isolators.
It's basically a device that separates starter battery from your aux/2nd battery, so that they both don't get drained by the amp/accessories.
You really don't need to replace the starter battery unless it's losing charge. As for your 2nd battery, you can install a yellowtop in your trunk and connect ALL power hungry devices. That way, if it gets drained, it won't affect your ability to start the car and drive away.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us