One 12" Kicker L7

Username: Dsingleton

Cheyenn, WY

Post Number: 1
Alright I keep getting different suggestions on this, so I rather ask more people lol...I will get 1 kicker L7 (either 2ohm or 4ohm). What I need to know is, how many watts do I need to push this sub for EITHER voice coil? I really don't have a price range, but I do wanna pay a reasonible price. This cat at circuit city was talking about getting the kicker kx1200.1 I think and the price damn near made me laugh at him. So anyone that could help me please let me know thanx!

Silver Member
Username: Qbenjamin

Florida

Post Number: 193
that sub should be about 750w rms, the DVC 4ohm or 2ohm. The specs are as follows:

Power Rating @ 13.8V
300W X 1 @ 4 Ohms RMS --> 1 DVC 4 ohm
600W X 1 @ 2 Ohms RMS --> 1 DVC 2 ohm
1200W X 1 @ 1 Ohm RMS --> 2 DVC 4 ohm bridged

Cheyenn, WY

Post Number: 2
Appreciate that Q, so those are the choices in amps as far as watts right? I think I will go with the kx600.1, that should be enough to power the sub yea?And of course it will have to be a 2ohm 12"

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1718
You should get the dual 2 ohm one. Wire it for 1 ohm, and put about 800-1100wrms to it. Look in the for sale section here. There are amps from $100-$400 that will work well.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3895
if you wire it to 1 ohm... be careful cuz those amps always put 1300-1400w rms at 1 ohm. Might be too much for that sub. I'd wire it at 2 ohms imo or get a ZX 750.1 and one dual 4 ohm l7

Cheyenn, WY

Post Number: 3
Thanx guys, yea I started thinking if I get that kx1200.1 it would be too much to power that sub. I've been search mad sites to see who has the cheapest 12"L7 with a sealed box. One site had it for 320 I beleive, which sounds good to me.I tried Ebay but I don't have enough time for Ebay,but does anyone know where I can get this sub cheaper than 320 with the sealed box??????

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1724
car domain has the sub for 220, and make a box. Sealed boxes are easy. ppl will help you.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3904
i'd try sonicelectronix, BTW try those subs in ported boxes, they sound 10 times better ported than sealed

Username: Gus738

Post Number: 3
the L5's max out on 600 watts while L7's give you 150 watts more = 750 watts the new zx models are nice so you can just run a zx750.1 and ur cool (get 2 ohm based subs) cuz they sell the 4 ohm.

i dont know about this but does the box matter ? i mean paticular in like kicker vented one vs a aftermarket one?

Cheyenn, WY

Post Number: 4
I think hifisoundconnection has em for 180 I think...my cousin has the L5's in a Deville in a kicker ported box, and it sounds pretty good cept all that air pushing the against the trunk.I thought about getting two but, thats too much king kong in the trunk for me lol. I don't think the box makes a huge difference. What would be so special about having a kicker box, or a aftermarket one? Besides the price of course.

Post Number: 6
well cuz im a bit confused , a sealed / ported box is? and how the kicker L5 comes in , it has a hole and the plugs on the side i want to get these subs with this vented enclosure , i mean i could care less about the logo but i dont wanna get a aftermarket box and loose power compared
to what the kicker designed box gives, so my question should be, can i get a aftermarket enclosure that it proper for the L5 ? with the hole and the plug well here the link take a look , should i make a thread ? and where

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-Dual-SoloBaric-12-Subwoofers-in-Vented-Enc losure-06DS12L52/sem/rpsm/oid/148340/catOid/-13093/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Cheyenn, WY

Post Number: 5
A sealed box doesn't have a little slot..Like the sealed box doesn't let the sub "breathe"

Post Number: 7
so i can buy these subs and put like a ebay box or any outside retailer? and i wont loose power?

sorry for jumping on your thread , im just looking for those subs with that enclosure for my 06 civic ex 2dr i alerady got the 1500 watt amp ( btw how can i tell if the skrs cant go no more ? so that i dont over power them?

Cheyenn, WY

Post Number: 6
You lost me there lol..say again? I found this sub at a site for 200 bucks, and it doesnt get any better than that. Will be hooking this up this weekend

Gold Member

Post Number: 3999
too many newbies. Yes you can put the sub in any box. But that's not recommended. L7s sound really bad. I'd try another sub, for example a CVX if you're tight and you like kicker

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
never mind i just bought the 06DS12L52 2 ohm with both l5 for 300 new ..... one of my questions still remains how can i know when im over powering the subs ? i have a zx1500.1 each sub hits 600 rms x 2 = 1,200 i got a 1,500 watt amp ... btw L7 = Cvx juliob

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 3059
again, l7 does not equal a cvx in any way. the l7 has a very, very high failure rate due to the square design. the cvx is a much better sub, it will get alomst as loud but have much better sq while doing it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
well specs wise they are exact but actuall hearing them thats diffrent , how can cvx sound better then the square????

Silver Member
Username: Basssquared

Post Number: 103
i agree with Ctmike but if ur just looking for hard hitting bass and spl and dont care about sound quality then got with the L7 it just depends on what u want

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3060
do you have a kicker dealer near you? if so please go down to it and listen for yourself. i have heard both alot and it's almost night and day between the two. a friend of mine actually swapped out his l7's for cvx's. in the same car, same power, ported box tuned to the same freq. it is noticable. some songs you really can't tell much but then on others you start to be able to pick up on the notes from the cvx that the l7 just couldn't do.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
well i dont have the L7's i have the 06DS12L52 , could i have done better for $300 dollars in these 2 subs with the kicker enclosure???? this is going to my 06 civic 2dr (incase the trunk size or such matters) and im powering them with my zx1500.1 but on a serious note guys , ctmike? anyone input? thanks

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3061
for just alittle more than $300 you could have gotten a pair of 12" cvx's, since you seem to like kicker. or you could do a single fi bl, that's under $300.

Silver Member

Post Number: 104
well i got 2 12" L7s for the same price but i think i got lucky well that amp should be more than enough to push those L5s but ctmike am i correct in saying that if u just want SPL the L7 is the way to go with Kicker well excluding the solox

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3063
oh, and to let you know, the l5 is even worse than the l7. best to worse, here's how i'd rate kickers' subs:
cvx
cvr
l7
comp
l5

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3064
for just spl, yeah, l7 is the way to go with kicker subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
i want quality so SQ or SQL ??? could care less for brand , i got a 1,500 watt amp i just want loud bump/thump if one sub can do work of 2 great more space.... thoughts????

Bronze Member

Post Number: 47
you gotta be $hiting me L5 sets in the lowest???? CVR cant be better???? should i be looking foward to changing my L5 and get someting else WITH enclosure AND better for SAME 300 DOLLAR PRICE????

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3067
do you have a budget? maybe a pair of fi ssd's. or try a pair of dd 2512's. one fi bl loaded.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 48
$300 dollar budget and box already but it has to be suprior vs the L5 s

Silver Member

Post Number: 105
OMG i cant believe u rated the Comp better than an L5 i use to have a comp that i bought brand new for 40 bucks and it didnt sound to good at all i cant picture spending more than 100 dollars on an L5 and it sounding worse but i guess the comps bass wass really clear but just didnt hit

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3069
i put the cvr over the l5 cause it sounds alot better and i have never heard of the cvr being brought back due to ripped cones. the l5 will definately get louder but the cvr overall is a better sub imo.

oh, and $300 for a pair of subs and box is kinda hard to do, at least something of quality.

Silver Member

Post Number: 106
But ctmike didnt kicker themselves rate their subs in this order from best to worse
Solox
L7
Compvx
L5
Compvr
Comp
But i guess they were just measuring them in SPL but thas crazy about the square design being sh*tty im not doubting you its just that i had never heard of that before but im just happy my L7s have a warranty so im not sweating it

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3071
well if made my own subs like kicker of course i'd rate them most expensive to the cheapest. that's business, thier in it to make money.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3072
i can take a guess as to why these subs had to be sent back. check around, really easy to find a "refurb" l5 or l7, but not to many others like the cvx can be found as easily.

http://www.ubid.com/Kicker_S8L7_8%22_900W_SoloBaric_Square_DVC_Sub/a10907821.htm l

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1926587/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2570956/vpcsid/0 /SFV/30046

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
yeah but if nething goes wrong wit my L7s ill just sell them for 200 hundred a piece they retail for 380 each so 400 for the pair is still a good deal and ill make a bill of it but if i was to do that what sub or subs would be good for 400 well thas only if my L7s fack up wich they hopefully wont

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3073
2 fi ssd'd
2 dd 2512's
1 dd 3512
3 dd 1012's (with almost enough for a 4th)
1 fi q
1 loaded fi bl
1 audioque hd3
2 audioque sd2.5 12"s
2 audioque sd2.5 15"s
1 crystal comp 12" or 10"
2 crystal pro x2 12" or 10"
1 si bm 12" or 10"
2 id q 12" or 10"
1 idmax 12" or 10"
wait for the aa lines to come out

just a few right now. of course i was basing all those subs off there msrps'.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
ct mike i could care less of l5s blow up faster lol ... yea i got 3 yr warranty for a direct swap of same or better set at a compareable price.... and the si 12's bm i belive sounded LOUD not clean based on a video .... maybe they are /. arent clean the guy was givin them 500 watts a peice zx1000.1

Silver Member

Post Number: 108
and will all of those have higher SPL than the L7 im sure better SQ but what about the SPL? and Will they require a lot more watts?

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3074
all have better spl, no. all better sq, yes. and listening to a bm and watching a video is two different things.

Silver Member

Post Number: 109
well aint no point in u wasting ur time telling me this cus i dont even know if my L7s will end up messing up but thanks for ur time ctmike well maybe ill change subs if i get tired of the nasty kicker bass jk lol but i doubt it im an spl type of guy

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 3075
if just for spl and they don't mess up on you, then you'll be happy:-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
so these L5s are just Loud and break often , is that it? oh and what would you defined "So, nice clear crisp loud bass you can feel is which would it be?"

Silver Member

Post Number: 110
well thanks for everything ctmike

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
ohh here's the video its stereo integrity BM

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208723

how do these compare vs my L5's?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4005
gustavo, just sell your kicker subs and get something good, with more SQ.

Bronze Member
Username: Josegs3

Anaheim, Ca Us

Post Number: 18
dear raymond-
you need to get the zx1000.1 sub it will push it perfectly oh and gustavo, you ARE overpowering them because 2 L7 would be using a zx1500.1 to power it perfectly at 1500 watts.

Bronze Member
Username: Josegs3

Anaheim, Ca Us

Post Number: 23
ZX7501 IS 750 WATTS JUST LIKE 1 l7

Bronze Member

Post Number: 54
yes i'm aware i'll be over powering them they need 1,200 watts and i'm giving them 300 more watts i'll turn down the gain so that i dont over power them? oooh 2 CVX 750 x 2 = 1,500
just perfect with the amp right???? D@mm kicker for not making them dual 2 cvx in a enclosure with vented like the L5s

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Hey Jose y would the ZX1000.1 be perfect the ZX1500.1 would be way better since i have two 12" L7s ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4012
stop this f*cking kicker thread!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 56
man wtf is your problem ey? if you dont wanna know noting just UNSUSCRIBE to this thread how hard is that moron .... this is a kicker thread "one 12 "KICKER" L7" so chil the f@uck out

Username: Killa711

Post Number: 1
hello, u said u paid 300 for two l5's ? i paid 378 brand new for my two 12" l7's 4 ohm model i should of got the two ohm model cuz they work better with the kicker ZX1500.1 which is the one i have i got that amp for 450 including S&H and then got two box's for 65 total so each has its own air flow. if u have any questions hit me up on aim XxSilent22xX

Bronze Member

Post Number: 61
well you may of gotten the l7s but you didnt get them with the specified box enclosure so therefore quality might sound droped or diffrent .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 62
well you may of gotten the l7s but you didnt get them with the specified box enclosure so therefore quality might sound droped or diffrent . plus the lack of having the 4 ohm sucks :-( alto you might be able to configure it to 2 oh wiring but its best to have it exchanged with the 2 ohm version , did you buy it at ebay?

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Fi SSD USA

Post Number: 3469
why would he want the dual 4 ohm subs? he has 2 dual 2 so he can wire it to 2 ohms cause his amp is 2 ohm stable not 1 ohm...if he had bought 2 dual 4 ohm subs, he wouldnt be able to use that amp to its fullest caus 2 dual 4 ohm subs wire to 4 ohms or 1 ohm...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
so he has to write each sub to a 2 ohm i know thats what im telling him.... its best just to have the 2 ohm subs fresh from factory out of the box :D

Post Number: 2
Right, Well The Box's I did get are Built To Kicker Specifications and since i do have the 4 ohm dvc models i wired both to 1 ohm so the amp can supply enough power to each sub because 2 ohm wouldn't match the rms to each sub Kicker doesn't recommend this but i know 3 of people have it wired up like that since the amp came out so far so good which the amp is underrated so its actually pushing almost 1700 watts and im positive this amp can Handel it.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 64
what amp did you get ? each sub rms is 750

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Qnited States of FI Ca...

Post Number: 833
Kicker rates their subs from most expensive to least expensive. AND yes box does matter. It makes a HUGE difference. I had my 12" CVX's in a custom made box and heard them against 2 L7's in the kicker box and the CVX's dominated in SQ and and was the same in SPL.

To the guy who said "I'm an SPL guy". You will be for a while, just like everybody else who starts in car audio. But what you will find is, that you will hear different systems and realize that pure spl sounds like crap and you will want to start getting into SQ. Dont argue with me cause it happens to everybody....lol.

Also To the original poster. I would get a little bigger amp just for headroom and upgrading. Once you hear the 1 L7. You are gonna want more. Car audio is addicting and expensive. It is way cheaper to save and get quality equipment than buying something and realizing you dont like it, then having to change things. I would check out Ebay for amps. I have been into car audio for 9 years.

I learned these lessons the hard way. Thats why these forums are cool, so you can learn from people that have experience and so you dont make mistakes. I would suggest to all of you newer guys, read the forums. Learn about different products before you go buying stuff from expensive stores like CC and BB.

Here is a couple sites to read so you can gain knowledge on all the tech. stuff. These Sites have VERY useful information. Take your time and read these sites. You will have a whole new understanding.

www.bcae1.com

www.wickedcases.com

Silver Member
Username: Rob932

Post Number: 123
So true about being an spl guy at first. i had 2 15" L5's and i thought they sounded good and were loud but was i so wrong. After hearing high quality subs they had just as much spl and 100% better sound quality.

Silver Member
Username: Rob932

Post Number: 124
I have heard L7's and they are loud enough to somewhat hide how bad of sound quality they have and sound decent for spl

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
i wonder how 2 12'' cvx in a dual enclosure with air vented built from kicker like the dual l5s .... btw Jesse D. excellent post and yes i already knew about the first link not about the second one , btw jesse have you instaled sound sytems in a 06 honda civic ex with out navi but with preimum sound ( the one with 7 stock spkrs and 8'' sub?) im getting ready to install my sound system , i already got my dash kit my wireharness my ant adaptor for radio and putting my jvc kdavx2 alonge with my kicker zx1500.1 mono amp 2 l5s and proboly my 4 ch amp kicker zx850.4

Post Number: 4
O dunno i think my l7's sounds good they hit hard as hell and the lyrics and stuff can all be heard well from the car speakers my truck is the eddie bauer edition so it came with premium speakers. srry i know this is not the car audio section as i realized this just a lil bit ago as im a new memeber here.

Bronze Member
Username: Djhasanicesoundsystem

Vista, Ca Usa

Post Number: 31
hey what size amp should i get for the 2 12" kicker compvr's that push 400w rms a piece (how do i tell what ohm they are) but i think the guy said 4ohm. and i have a alpine mrp-m650 mono
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us