I am sorry...but another newbie amp question

Username: Liverider2003

Fort Walton Beach, Florida USA

Post Number: 1
Sorry guys...but I just figured this would be the best place to come for suggestions...I know you get it all the time, but here goes...

I have 2 12" Jensen XS1212 subs. I have heard that these subs are garbage...I have heard that these subs are good, especially for their low cost. I have heard every opinion about these subs. I am using them regardless of what anyone says...until I feel like upgrading(or until they die/blow like some say they will inevitably do in a short period of time). They were free...so I am gonna use them.

Here is the tech info on the subs:

Speaker Type: Passive
Nominal (RMS) Output Power: 175 Watt
Max (RMS) Output Power: 525 Watt
Response Bandwidth: 20 - 1000 Hz
Input Impedance: 4 Ohm
Output Level (SPL): 91 dB

I am not trying to win any competitions...I just want to be able to power these subs properly.
Please recommend some amps that will do the job(brands and model number or direct links to amp on websites etc...please . Yes I am on of those cheap guys that wants to spend less than $200 if possible.

Any tips on how to wire them?

Sorry for the long post and annoying typical question

Thanks,
Corey

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1368
This amp would be perfect for em. Im sure everyone will agree. If you can use Ebay, go for it. I might even snatch this one up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ZAPCO-REFERENCE-SERIES-350-2-CHANNEL-AMP_W0QQitemZ1900577226 82QQihZ009QQcategoryZ18796QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post Number: 2
So...in the specs on the auction page for that amp...it says:

Stereo, 2 Ohms: 2 x 175 watts

That is 2 channels at 175 watts each(RMS) right? And for the 2 Ohm part...does that refer to how the subs are wired? If so, can my two, 4 Ohm subs be wired to 2 Ohms?

Thanks for the help!
Corey

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1369
Correct, you have 2 single 4 ohm subs. Wire down to 2 ohms.
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html?subs =2&impedance=SVC4

Post Number: 3
Thank you Marc...I appreciate your help!

Corey

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1370
Sure. Important thing is the amp. Dont get anything thats junk. A good amp will last a long time, and can be used when you upgrade. Those Jensens will sound good on that,^^^ or any Zapco, JL, Memphis or other quality amp. Most subs blow because a cheap amp delivers a Clipped signal at higher volume. A quality amp will not. Good luck.

Bronze Member
Username: Nor_cal_lo_life

Post Number: 26
If your looking for somthing you can pick up at bestbuy, or just localy in general.......http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7635838&type=product&productCatego ryId=cat03087&id=1141762608481
This would be fine......on ebay it should be cheaper

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1371
That amp is in no way comparable to the Zapco. And at $250, Much better out there, Much. And that amp would only put 162.5 watts per speaker. That has, "buy me, so I can clip your subs to death fast" written all over it. Corey, ask around for a quality amp, and that one will not be mentioned.

Punch amp
325W RMS (continuous) @ 2 ohms
175W RMS (continuous) @ 4 ohms

Here is a list of amps to look at. Notice where the ones I mentioned are located?

http://community.allhiphop.com/showthread.php?t=149784

Silver Member
Username: Naledge503

Qnited States of FI Ca...

Post Number: 637
Sorry but the Zapco wont work either. Great amp, wrong impedance. The subs are single 4 ohm. So you need a mono amp that does 350rms at 2 ohms or an amp that does 175rmsx2 at 4ohms each channel.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3580
if i were you i'd talk with CTMIKE or mat dope for their PGs 400.1

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1374
Hey John Q, Good looking out. How bout, Memphis PR300.2
150x2 @ 4
Or get a memphis PRD 1000.1, MC 1000D Both are 300 x1 @ 4 ohms, And when he wants to upgrade, he will already have an amp capable of ~1000-1100 X1 @ 1 ohm.

Or a JL 300/2 150x2 @1-4 ohms

Bronze Member
Username: Shade

Post Number: 18
i have a kenwood 7202 for sale if u interested^

Username: Motox2399

Post Number: 5
I hated my Jensen SX10's.. They sounded distorted when you turned the volume up. I even had a Local car stereo place look and see if they where hooked up properly. They where so they adjusted my Rockford Fosgate 600W to the recommended specs and they went ahead and told me there's nothing we can do about the way they sound. So I got two Kicker Comp 10's and fell in love with them =)

Post Number: 4
Ok....So last night I was bored and I took the Power Acoustik Gothic series out of my other car(OVC-1600). It is:
1600 watts max
740 watts RMS bridged @ 4 ohms
310 watts X 2 channels @ 4 ohms
370 watts X 2 channels @ 2 ohms

I hooked it all up today and wired the subs to 2 ohms...and put them on one channel...so that is 370 watts to both subs wired to 2 ohms. Is this ok? It sounds good...but I am about 10 watts over per sub(subs are 175 RMS each...with 370 going to both, it is like 185 RMS per sub)...hopefully this will be ok.

Thanks,
Corey

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 2593
if you want a better amp i have a pg xenon 400.1 for sale that'll be better for those subs and overall better amp than that pa. let me if your interested.

Gold Member

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 1384
Ya thats fine
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us