2ohms ampli power for 4ohms speakers

Bronze Member
Username: Cognition

Post Number: 40
Is it possible to feed my infinity reference components and alpine type-s coax with 2ohms from the amplifier eventhough they're rated at 4ohms?

I'm not sure if I stated my question correctly... but my installer had advised me to use my single 4-channel amplifier to power my comps and coax with channels 1 and 2 (@ 2ohms each) and a 12" sub with channels 2 and 3.

Will this be all right?

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 3182
yes, by running the comps and coax on each channel you can get it to 2 ohms, run fronts on channel 1 and rears on channel 2. and as far as the sub the sub needs to be a single 4 or a dual 2 ohm sub in order to run bridged on the amp.

Silver Member
Username: Brynm

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 233
Just a heads up if you do it that way you'll lose stereo. since both front speakers are off the same channel

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
Bryn, I'm a newbie in these kinds of stuffs. Could you please elaborate further?

Silver Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 237
Well ty has it right, if you run your fronts off one channel and the rears off another. the only thing you'll notice is because both sets of speakers are run off one channel you will be obly putting mono out to the speakers. If you want to run everything off one amp you could look into a 5 channel amp like this one, http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=3718&a ff=45847 or http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3840

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3363
you can also get an amp for your sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
I see. Will my amplifier get hot faster if I use it a 2ohms instead of 4ohms?

Silver Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 240
as long as it's 2ohm stable it shouldn't get too hot, but yes it will get warmer at two ohms.

Gold Member
Username: N2audio

Lawrence, Ks USA

Post Number: 1007
"the only thing you'll notice is because both sets of speakers are run off one channel you will be obly putting mono out to the speakers."

No it won't. There won't be the option to fade, but balance (stereo) will be preserved.

Left comp/coax on channel 1, right comp/coax on channel 2. You still have stereo.

Channels 3/4 bridged for the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 45
Copy, tnx. By the way, would it be better to run my front speakers and the sub off the amplifier (ch 1&2 for comps and ch 3&4 for the sub), while the rear speakers off the HU? Will this setup allow me to use the HU's fader and prevent the amp from overheating?

Silver Member

Prince Albert, SK Canada

Post Number: 242
I think that may actually be the best option. that way you won't lose anything. every way we've been telling you you'd lose something. I've got a 2 channel for my fronts, rears on hu and a monoblock for my subs and am very happy.

Silver Member
Username: Mike_16

Burlington, Wisconsin Us

Post Number: 154
ok i have a ? for john beard i have a kenwood to but its the 1700 watt one 9102d and myne blows the fuses when i turn my volume up to hi but i know my amp can be louder beacuse i dont have barely anything turned up and i want it louder so why is myne blowing fuses i have 2 10inch kicker comp.vr dual 4 ohm and there not bridged so why could i be blowing fuses

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 3375
your amp is mono and you have them wired in parallel. That's your problem

Bronze Member

Post Number: 46
Thanks guys. Really appreciate your answers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us