JBL GTO 1201.1II or JL 500/1 for a 12w7

Username: Juicemane

Post Number: 1
So which one would you go with. I have the JBL right now on the 12w7 but have a chance to trade straight up for the 500/1. Alot of shops around here say varying things but I know the 1000/1 is the best amp for this sub but out of the two metioned which would you choose.

Gold Member
Username: Tjmutlow

Post Number: 2945
seeing how the sub is 3ohms the JBL would be the better of the choice, it says it is rated for 787@4ohms and 1114@2ohms. so you would be in the 500/1 would be the bare min that sub needs.

Post Number: 2
So how many watts do you think actually are running the sub. Every shop around here seems to think this setup should be pretty good. They say around 800watts since it is a 3ohmn load. The reason I ask is because My friend is running a 10w7 w/ 5001/1 and it sounds alot lounder. We where thinking is was since it was in an suv. I have a dodge ram quad cab and his seems louder. It is kind of frustrating. The other factor could be my box. He has the HO box and I think my box is a pre fab but I paid 375 for the 12w7 and the box. Should I change my box before my amp? I have heard alot of good things about my amp so I think I will stick with it for now. Thanks for your help.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 699
yes, if you want louder, look into a new enclosure first, like ported if yours is sealed. or larger or tuned higher if aleady ported. the enclosure has the biggest effect on how a sub will sound.

Post Number: 3
Alright I planning on getting a custom box on friday. Thanks for your help. Any of you guys like/use this amp?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2947
Audioenhancers makes a dead on JL spec box w 1/2" face plate for that sub, runs 120 delivered.

Post Number: 4
I have that AE logo is on the box that I bought with the sub and all of the deminsions match the 12w7. So that is the box I have. This might sound kind out stupid but my head unit has only 2v preouts. It's the alpine 9852. Could this be a problem?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2948
do you have the ported version, or is it sealed

Gold Member

Post Number: 2949
if the box has a small port on top of the sub, wrong enclosuer the w7 has port on left side of box, the other box was made for w6 sub.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2950
and the w7 box has a 1.5"faceplate for the sub to sit on.

Post Number: 5
The port is on the left side and the face plate is 1.5" So the box should be good. What about the 2v preouts on the headunit? Could that be my problem?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2952
one thing you can do is put your friends sub in you truck and see what it sounds like.

Silver Member
Username: Rob_preg

NE, Ohio United states

Post Number: 701
your 2v preouts are fine as long as your gain is set correctly.

Gold Member
Username: Juliob

Santo DomingoDominican Re...

Post Number: 2889
talk to bassman3 for a nice box

Gold Member

Post Number: 2955
i have the 9857 in my wifes car and really do not like the sub controls on it, I would not use it in my truck for running subs,but that is just my oppinnion on the Alpine deck.

Silver Member
Username: 420alldaylong

Post Number: 543
JBL
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us