Optima question

Username: Claytonk

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 8
In my car I have about 1000 watts of power for music. I also have two 9" lcd monitors and one gamecube. Under the hood I have a standard lead battery. In my possession I have an optima red top. I am curious how having both of these batteries could help me and how I would wire them. thanks for any insight.

Gold Member
Username: Theelfkeeper

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2784
you dont want to mix batteries, just not a good idea. put the red top under the hood. if you play the monitors or system a lot with the car off, look into a couple yellow tops.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1450
I think as long as the batteries are the same voltage it doesn't matter. I know quite a few people mixing batteries, standard under the hood and deep cycle in the trunk. Polo..

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 348
my lead battery was 14.5V my redtop and yellowtop are 13.9 i mixed the redtop with the lead at a point..... i put the redtop under the hood, and the lead battery in the back... it leaked all over my carpet and ate a big hole in it.... dont kno if that was the cause but i wouldnt even mess with drycell\lead at the same time no more...

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2788
reason why i say that is because every battery will have different ratings and limits. mixing can throw thoes numbers off or beyond their limits. which is prob why Killa's battery ate his carpet, lol.

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 10
My red top measures at 12.3 volts and my lead die-hard measures at 12.4 volts. does these numbers match up? could I keep the die-hard under the hood and run a power cable to the redtop in the back. would the stock alt. support this?

Bronze Member

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 17
anyone have an idea?

Gold Member

Stockbridge, GA USA

Post Number: 2827
both are sitting kinda low imo. and a stock alt isn't gonna handle anything extra.

Gold Member
Username: Safe_cracker

Chicago, IL US

Post Number: 1479
A lead acid, lead cadmium battery has no place in an automobile! That battery needs a special charger to even charge it correctly, must charge slowly or it will vent horribly. There is absolutely no reason why you couldn't mix a redtop wit a yellowtop or even a standard wetcell with the above. Lead sealed batteries are not designed for automobiles, period...Polo.

Silver Member
Username: Johnfiac

Il USA

Post Number: 369
so its a good thing i have the 2 optimas then the rredtop under hood and yellow top in rear... i play it with car running more then with it off and never have problems, i have them on my stock 100A alt right now until i order the 300A and dont really have any voltage loss while it plays but then im probally only pulling like 900rms @4ohm right now

Bronze Member

Carlsbad, CA USA

Post Number: 18
Killa, do you use a bat. isolator between the redtop and yellowtop? so mixing a redtop with a standard wetcell battery shouldnt be too big of a problem?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us