Quick question

Gold Member
Username: Ctmike

Ct.

Post Number: 1531
just got a stupid question bout my kicker 1200.1. i currently have it running at 2ohms on a 12" r. i noticed today that the red led light lightly flickers when the bass hits hard. the green led is on and never goes off, never even flickers. it's just the red one flickers, not bright, just really dull and never stays on for more than a split second. the manual says the red light only goes on when the amp is hot, shuts down when vehicle is running, or only plays at low volume, which it does none of it. could it be i'm clipping the sub? kicker tech says their amps don't do that when it's clipping so i don't know. i've opened it up and everything looks fine, even took it to two shops and they don't know what it is. i'm thinking it just does that but i can't remember my old 1200.1 doing it. any ideas?

Bronze Member
Username: Bobimpact

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 84
Ideas? Put a piece of black tape over it. :-)

It may just be some current running back through that circuit. I doubt it's isolated from the rest of the amp. Try backing your gains off a bit and see if it continues.

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1533
yeah i tried backing off the gains and it still does it. i was thinking it was maybe just something faulty with it cause my sub plays great considering it's one r. guess i'll just ignore it, just wanted some opinions before i might have ruined something.

bob, i read you run a store in ct. which one and where at? what brands you carry? might have to stop buy if you hook up forum members with discounts:-)

Bronze Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 86
Don't run a store, I've been with Tweeter for six years and an independent prior to that. I carry JL, Polk MoMo, MTX, JBL, Focal, Pioneer Premier and Clarion as mainline (I really hope I didn't forget anyone). Therefore giant discounts are a nonfactor, but a one of a kind demo and some otherwise worthless acoustic information come for free. That's the biggest benefit of going to a store in place of a website, the fact that I (obviously) LOVE talking about it.

Sorry if I gave off the impression that I own an idependent, but I usually try to avoid making that too obvious on messageboards to avoid people thinking i'm just shilling Tweeter gear (I don't, but I'm obviously much more familiar with my products.) Also this revelation usually leads to a few questions, which I will answer once now:

1) No, we are not more expensive. If you don't buy from Tweeter it won't be because of price. Yes we tend to carry higher end gear, but that doesn't mean we can't fit your budget.

2) Yes, you will be treated with respect and will NOT be spoken down to at Tweeter. Just because we're "higher end" doesn't mean we don't get it.

3) Yes, we actually are trained as much as people think we are, and in some cases much much more. Both of my installers are MECP certified, as am I. My new sales guy is going for his soon. I'm studying for my Master (or Advanced, or whatever it is they call it these days.)

4) Don't be afraid to talk to the mobile guys, you may just be browsing, but we may be able to help you narrow your search or may throw an idea out that helps you decide. We will NEVER jump down your throat for asking any questions. We're working in this industry (and in my case with Tweeter) because we LOVE IT.

5) Most shops, me included, don't have wiring harnesses for a 2001 Kenwood deck lying around. We would love to help, but it's just not there.

Sorry for the tirade, but again, the last thing I need is the whole "A snotty Tweeter guy" line.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5038
i am unfamiliar with Tweeter....is it like the king of BB and CC audio stuff? lol

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1537
since you work at tweeter, got a few questions for you. at my tweeter, don't know if it's the same for all, but why is the biggest amp the jl 1000/1? also, did tweeter stop carrying audison amps for any particular reason?

when you said "you will be treated with respect and will NOT be spoken down to at Tweeter" maybe at yours, but not the one in waterford!

Gold Member

Ct.

Post Number: 1538
here you go muddy:

http://www.tweeter.com/home/index.jsp

Bronze Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 88
Muddy, not exactly, Tweeter is a large chain (153 stores) but we specialize more than other chains.

Mike, remember that everyone has bad days. I obviously can't speak for every Tweeter, but we are by and large, considered friendly. I've heard bad stories about EVERY car stereo shop in existence and about the same ratio. :-)

The 1000/1 is usually the largest stocked amp, we do carry the BPX and GTi series JBL amps. Power? How's a $6000, 6000 watt monster for ya? :-) We've been alternating between the PDX11000 and JL1000/1 for high current jobs, depending on the situation.

Another website: http://www.tweetermobile.com

Bronze Member

Danbury, CT US

Post Number: 89
Muddy, you're probably more familiar with Sound Advice, which has been a Tweeter brand for several years now. Those guys are nuts.

Gold Member
Username: Basshead86

Google is your Friend, FL

Post Number: 5052
i haven't seen one of those either.

just BB and CC and the local audioshops where i live. my town sucks...but it is growing.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us