Wondering about upgrade?

Silver Member
Username: Adam_s

Post Number: 101
OK well in my car it comes stock w/ a 130 amp alternator and right now I am running about 500 watts RMS but my headlights dim quite a bit, but I thought that the 130 amp alternator should be able to handle that much power with no problems. Could it be that my big three is too small?? and should I upgrade that?

Silver Member
Username: Rick_ross

Post Number: 304
you can upgrade that but 500 rms is nothin a 130 amp alt will take that with no problem

Silver Member

Post Number: 103
thats what i thought...so what would the cause be for the headlights dimming??

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Chicago, Ill Us

Post Number: 1725
well i had a 130 and i had 3 800 watts max and and 400 rms each amp execpt the 4 channel it was like 380 rms or 420 something like that i just added a 3.2 farad cap and it handlet easily witout any dimming and if i take out the cap the dim will start dimming like hell, the i put 2000 rms+ on my system and i have irragi 200 amps alternator with 2 runs of 0 gauge and i still have some diiming but nothing seriously

i recomend to do the big 3 (dont forget the negatives) and buy a small cap ( the cap will help u out to make the voltage more stable and filtering unwanted noise

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3987
Yeah, the big three in your case should help. Remember, however, that the idle amperage is quite a bit less than 130A so if your headlights are dimming when the car is idle, the alt could be to blame.

Silver Member

Post Number: 107
ohhh ok...thank you
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us